Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would cause a tube to blow on the inside, next to the rim tape? Had this happen to me on the last mile of my ride today. Was on a slight uphill, tube went pop and immediately flat.

Karma gods were with me, clipped out fast, right infront of 3 couples having some beers on their porch. They happened to be a 'huge cycling family'

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Could also have been something like a tiny pebble that got lodged in there and decided to do it's job right when it did? :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
My bike came with cheap plastic rim tape - on only one wheel - and the tape actually gave way into the hole for the nipple, providing zero protection for the tube. Looked just about exactly like yours does. Put on some decent cloth tape and no problems.

Also had what I think was a bad tube - as far as I can tell a seam gave way right after I put the patched tube back on the wheel. The tube split perfectly along the seam over a distance of about 3", right in line with the center of the rim. Could've been pinched, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Velox Rim Tape.

Don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the tape then I got back, it's velox and was good the whole way around.

I think it was from the brake coming out of position and riding on the rim. There was a loud 'pop' when the tube went. I got off, took a drink from my bottle and went back to check the patch of road where it happened. Maybe 1 min later i was taking the wheel off the fork and the rim was slightly warm to the touch.

When i got back and was checking over everything, i noticed i hadn't closed the caliper the whole way after I put the wheel back on. When I closed it the whole way, the right pad came in contact with the rim while the left pad was about double the length it normally is from the rim. I tightened the screw holding the caliper to the fork, it went about a 1/3 turn and adjusted the setscrew so the pads were even.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts