Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I apply tube patching glue to the tube, some of it, where it goes on very thin, quickly turns dull. Some of it though looks shiny and doesn't stop being shiny no matter how long I wait, at least even after an hour. Is it dry?

I apply the glue by putting some on the tube and spreading it with a clean finger. It's hard to spread it to a perfectly even thickness, because it starts drying almost immediately and after a few seconds, however the glue winds up is how it has to remain.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
TomBrooklyn said:
When I apply tube patching glue to the tube, some of it, where it goes on very thin, quickly turns dull. Some of it though looks shiny and doesn't stop being shiny no matter how long I wait, at least even after an hour. Is it dry?

I apply the glue by putting some on the tube and spreading it with a clean finger. It's hard to spread it to a perfectly even thickness, because it starts drying almost immediately and after a few seconds, however the glue winds up is how it has to remain.
Yes, it's dry, usually after just a minute or so, depending on temperature and humidity. A traditional way to test without contaminating the glue is to lightly touch the thickest part with the top of a clean fingernail, and see if it sticks at all.

I try to spread it with the top of the glue tube itself, rather than touching it with a finger. Even a very clean finger may contaminate the glue and potentially weaken the bond. It doesn't have to be spread to a perfectly uniform thickness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts