Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tubes do you like for training? I ask because I've discovered that the Bontrage lite tubes suck! I bought four and flatted them all in two weeks. The Conti's I was riding before that lasted 6 months.

What tubes do you like/dislike?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Timmons said:
What tubes do you like for training? I ask because I've discovered that the Bontrage lite tubes suck! I bought four and flatted them all in two weeks. The Conti's I was riding before that lasted 6 months.

Thanks.
Michelin A1 tubes. Great.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Generic...

Timmons said:

Thanks.
Generic, thick, and rubber. That's about it. The thicker, the better. They're just for training anyway. Local shop I get the cheapest thickest tubes I can get my hands on for training. Haven't had a flat yet this year. Riding same 2 tubes I put in, well, actually last October. Thickness is your friend. Leave all of them fancy lite tubes for racing wheels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
stihl said:
$2 (subtract coupons and perf. team membership discount) Performance tubes are very cheap.
These are essentially the same as the Bontrager tubes the OP is complaining about! I've had (and seen) TONS of problems with both of these brands. Usually it is a broken valve, but sometimes there are "mystery" flats where a seam just lets go. I like the Contis.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
I like the cheap Specialized ones, especially as they come in plenty of different valve lengths. No flatting problems either.

:)

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
12 for 10 bucks at REI last year; bought two boxes

My preference is Continental, but they're hard to find around here and cost six bucks each, which probably isn't justified by their performance. Last year REI had a sale, at least locally, with either 10 tubes for 12 bucks or 12 tubes for 10 bucks, can't remember. I bought two boxes (700x25, I use them in everything). They're just plain old black rubber, undistinguished, but jeez, they're TUBES, you know? How good can they be?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.