Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Tubes are stretchy, so they fit a range of sizes. A 27 x 1" tire is only a little larger than a 23mm 700c, so the same tube works for both.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
They need some kind of protection,

edhchoe said:
Thank you!
Another question... Do you carry the tubes with the box? It is rather bulky.
if you carry them in a seat bag with tools, tire levers, etc. Otherwise there's a good chance that when you need it, you'll find it has a hole torn in it. But the boxes are bulky, as you say. I repackage the tube in a heavy-duty ziploc bag, squeezing out as much air as possible, and then wrapping it with a couple of rubber bands to keep it all neat. The bag also allows you to dust the tube with talcum powder (aids installation), without having a mess. Partially inflate the new tube, coat thoroughly with talc, then completely deflate, roll it up and seal it in the bag. It'll be ready to go when you need it.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I've been buying Bontrager tubes at the LBS that I believe are marked 700x23 or 25, and 27 x 7/8 or 1. Something like that, not sure what actual brand they really are.

I've been leaving one in the box that I carry in my small seat bag. In the box I stuff a pair of disposable gloves and a stick-on patch kit - little piece of sandpaper with the grit side facing "out" so it doesn't rub on the tube. This way it all stays together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.