Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 MTB's and all are tubeless. I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata I am using heavily for road use. I have 2 sets of rims. WTB i19 AL and NOX Skyline CF. So internal widths of 19 and 23mm.

I've never had a road bike and no experience with tubes. How do you size a tube for a 19 or 23 wide rim? Can you put a tube rated up to 23 in a 19?? How about a 23 in a 33 tire? IDK...how does it work?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I have 4 MTB's and all are tubeless. I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata I am using heavily for road use. I have 2 sets of rims. WTB i19 AL and NOX Skyline CF. So internal widths of 19 and 23mm.

I've never had a road bike and no experience with tubes. How do you size a tube for a 19 or 23 wide rim? Can you put a tube rated up to 23 in a 19?? How about a 23 in a 33 tire? IDK...how does it work?
Match the tube size to the tire size, no matter the rim width. I've miss matched tube\tire sizes and it worked but it's easy enough to match them. Smaller tube mismatch was easier than larger tube mismatch because it can get mighty crowded stuffing a too large tube into a tire.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
So a 28 tube with a 33 tire is no bueno ??
If that's what I had on hand, I'd do it. It'll probably work fine. If I don't have the inventory, I'll use what I have, but if I need to get something I'm gonna make it match.

That tube will conform to the inside of the tire and unless it's a cheap tube with poor seams it should work fine. Push a cheap tube far and a seam could split. Too big a tube could fold up on itself and cause a constriction.

·
Registered
21,153 Posts
... larger tube mismatch because it can get mighty crowded stuffing a too large tube into a tire.
Yup, can be done. Just gotta be extra careful not to pinch the tube when stuffing it in.

So a 28 tube with a 33 tire is no bueno ??
Sure, no problem at all. Try pumping up the tube outside the tire until it's 28mm (1.1") wide. Then continue pumping until it's 33mm (1.3") wide. Notice the minuscule 5mm (.2") change to the tube with no ill effect. Then continue pumping and see it easily go much bigger.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I use 19-23 mm tubes with 33mm tires. No problem.

Unless you're talking about a massive difference paying much attention to tube size isn't really necessary and it's better to size down because it's lighter and easier to install correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.