Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt many of you read the article in Velonews back in November regarding the tubular-clincher issue:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9172.0.html

I've decided to go with Stan's ZTR 29er and go tubeless with clincher tires-hopefully getting some of the benefits of tubulars and clinchers together. I've done tufo tubular clinchers and have ridden and repaired numberous tubulars for the road. I've also pinch flatted during CX racing and numerous times on training rides. Stan said Mary McConolough rode his wheels for CX successfully.

I'll post my experience when I get these together, but does anyone out ther currently ride tubeless for CX (700C)? If so, I'd like to know your experience and suggestions. TIA.
BTW, Stan's rims are nearly 5 mm wider with shorter sidewalls than my current open pro/cxp's, so wheel exchanges are out. Maybe I need a pit bike....I guess the idea is I shouldn't have flats with this system!

Cliff

·
Banned
3,317 Posts
I rode the Bontrager Race X-Lite Tubulars with Tufo T34s. Not a single flat all year.
I'm sold on the tubular setup.

My lbs also converted my Ksyriums for tubeless using a BMX inner tube. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
400 Posts
cliff said:
No doubt many of you read the article in Velonews back in November regarding the tubular-clincher issue:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9172.0.html

I've decided to go with Stan's ZTR 29er and go tubeless with clincher tires-hopefully getting some of the benefits of tubulars and clinchers together. I've done tufo tubular clinchers and have ridden and repaired numberous tubulars for the road. I've also pinch flatted during CX racing and numerous times on training rides. Stan said Mary McConolough rode his wheels for CX successfully.

I'll post my experience when I get these together, but does anyone out ther currently ride tubeless for CX (700C)? If so, I'd like to know your experience and suggestions. TIA.
BTW, Stan's rims are nearly 5 mm wider with shorter sidewalls than my current open pro/cxp's, so wheel exchanges are out. Maybe I need a pit bike....I guess the idea is I shouldn't have flats with this system!

Cliff
Might have to get another set of wheels, if you don't have the funds for a pit bike.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
I'm not seeing the logic here

if you are going to go to all that expense and trouble to set up a tubeless system why not just go tubs? What you lose in tread choices you gain in sidewall, overall suppleness.
plus you can get Tub Hoops or wheels fer cheap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
admittedly, I did strongly consider going tubular, but was not thrilled with the choices, per-tire expense and general durability issues, not to mention the maintainence. That's why I though tubeless was a reasonable solution. In hindsight, I should have used open pros with a stan's kit, but thought the stan's rim would work better overall.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a follow up to my earlier posts: I have now been riding these Stan's ZTR 29er wheels for a couple of weeks in varied terrain-the GGP CX course and on rocky trails. The mounting of the tires was easy. I'm currently using an Excavader on the rear and a Cross Blaster on the front. The rim is wide which gives the tire a different profile and I'm running about 35PSI front and rear, though I've bottomed out the rear a few times on rocks or roots--the GGp course is a bit jungle cross-ish.

I wouldn't go narrower than the 31C cross blaster on the wide rim, but the 35 C excavader is da bomb run at this pressure! I haven't had any burping at all. In regards to the spare wheel, I can put in my spare wheels (mostly open pro's) and adjust the barrel adjuster on the bar top lever out to compensate for the thinner rim-the pads line up fine.

The upside is the ability to run low pressure, the rims are light (690 g front with a AC hub laced 3X with revos) No gluing and I can use a 29 dollar Exavader. The downside might be the ultimate rim strength vs a tubular since a clincher rim has the walls. I hope that's useful information to y'all out there.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks. Been considering my rolling stock. I've got the raceday tubs so that isn't a question for me, but there's months of trail and woods riding ahead for my clinchers and I've considered going tubeless. Glad to see it's working for someone.

Do you think these'd work as well for a diesel-weight.

Ron

·
Registered
125 Posts
I raced all last season w/ stan's 29er's on both kendas kwicks and maxxis mimos and they worked great. Once you have the hang of setting them up it's quick and easy. No flats, fast rolling great traction at 32 psi from and rear and rather light. Raced a bunch of the bay area races on them. Going to build up a new lighter set this year. If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They were 35's. Rolled great on pavement and cornered well on dirt but you could feel the knobs rollover when cornering on pavement. This year I've going to try the Ritchey Speedmaxes. Incidently my DH and trail bikes have tubeless setups and I've only flated once in the past 2 years (due to a rip). I'm totally sold on tubless.
I raced all last seaons in the C's but I'll be in the Men B 35+ (or whatever the equivalent USAC category is) for 07.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another tubeless option is the Shimano 7801SL wheelset, they are not cheap, but they are tubeless compatible and only 1500 grams for the pair. I recently bought a pair and am using them as my race wheelset for my road bike. I won't be mounting cross tires on them for a couple months, but I plan to run them tubeless for cross season. When I do use them for cross I'll post my thoughts on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.