Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have tried Slime Pro and Orange Seal. Both were okay, but became a bit pricey when I jumped into the fatbike world. Anyone here use home brew sealants? I see it's a fairly popular thing on MTBR and hear Orange Seal started as a home brew. I am giving 1 part molding latex and 3 parts windshield washer fluid a try.

Any other roadies running home brew sealant?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have used a version of WSS (Wade's Secret Sauce) homebrew for over 3 years in my tubeless road tires with good results. I use a version that incorporates regular Slime for ATV/Tractor/Lawnmower tires along with latex mold builder from Michaels, with Propylene Glycol, water and some ammonia. The ATV version of slime has bigger/more rubber chunks. Many are using no commercial products (like slime) and adding corn meal or other chunkalators. The version I use is easy to make and use and much cheaper than commercially available products. I have 7 bikes between my wife and I that run tubeless. Everyone's experience may be different but I would recommend spending some time on the MTBR thread. Do some searching and you will see many versions and way too much discussion but with a little time you'll find what you need. One really important item is the mixing order. Propylene Glycol will produce some heat so mix it with water and wait for it to cool prior to mixing the slime and latex with it.
Best Tubeless Brew?- Mtbr.com

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Trucker Co.
It's pretty good and the included syringe is awesome.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Any experience using it in the cold?

I've been meaning to give their sealant a try. I've been using Truckerco brake pads for a while.
Haven't had any punctures in the cold (that I know of) but I'm only using it on my road bikes, down to 30-35 degrees is my personal limit.
You can also add glitter (leftover stuff from your kids school projects) to homebrew or store-bought sealant.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I often ride below freezing w/ my homebrew in my late fall or early spring commute with no issues. The glycol (either ethylene or propylene) is the reason as it is basically antifreeze.
As for glitter, I wouldn't waste my time with it. It has been tried w/ limited, if any, success by homebrew fanatics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts