Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article a long time ago that Michelin created prototypes of a road tire
which was tubeless like mountain bike tubeless tires. It required a special rim.

Does anyone know when it is coming out?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Any day now

steel515 said:
I read an article a long time ago that Michelin created prototypes of a road tire which was tubeless like mountain bike tubeless tires. It required a special rim. Does anyone know when it is coming out?
This concept was announced several years ago. At the time, the release date was "soon." That is still the case. :)

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Similar

steel515 said:
Is this exactly the same as mountain bike tubeless tires and is it possible for such a design for road bikes?
Basic principles are the same. Given that road tires run in XS of 100 psi (7 bar), it is a lot more difficult to make things work. Also, the weight penalty that is seen in MTBs is not acceptable on the road. With an MTB, pinch flats are a common problem and so tubeless offers a solution to that problem. Pinch flats on the road are much less of an issue, so tubeless has less to offer the road rider.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
In my book, it is a sign of quality (and the right design). I once had a set of Bontragers that you could use to peel vegetables.

Argentius said:
Is the reason that Campy, Mavic, etc, have their high-end clinchers requiring no rim-tape?

I mean, saving 15 grams from lack of Velox can't matter THAT much...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.