Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience or opinion on if using tubeless ready tires on a regular rim with tubes makes for any compromises or problems? Or will they hook on to a bead and stay put just fine?

Specifically I'm wondering about Vittoria Corsa Speed Tubless Ready (because they don't make a non-tubeless ready ) on Archetypes.

Thanks

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,077 Posts
IME they ride like crap (think tooth rattling overinflated tubed clinchers in ride quality). Best done only in an emergency. Had to do it with Schwalbes and Hutchinsons before. Not a fun ride.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IME they ride like crap (think tooth rattling overinflated tubed clinchers in ride quality). Best done only in an emergency. Had to do it with Schwalbes and Hutchinsons before. Not a fun ride.
I could be wrong but I don't think some of those tubeless tires that sucked were that way due to the bead. The Vittoria ones have a real high TPI so wouldn't think they'd ride like crap as Hutchinsons did.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Anyone have any experience or opinion on if using tubeless ready tires on a regular rim with tubes makes for any compromises or problems? Or will they hook on to a bead and stay put just fine?

Specifically I'm wondering about Vittoria Corsa Speed Tubless Ready (because they don't make a non-tubeless ready ) on Archetypes.

Thanks
I don't think there are safety issues, but as already mentioned....ride quality will suffer. On the other hand some ppl wouldn't notice if they were on wooden wheels :)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,077 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think some of those tubeless tires that sucked were that way due to the bead. The Vittoria ones have a real high TPI so wouldn't think they'd ride like crap as Hutchinsons did.
Vittorias are made differently, and given higher TPI, they might ride better with a tube in them. BikeRadar noted they were quite fragile

However....you can get 320TPI Open Corsa CXIII tubed tires that ride great as tubed tires for much less.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
However....you can get 320TPI Open Corsa CXIII tubed tires that ride great as tubed tires for much less.
For now, yes, I could and I already have 4 of them. The reason for my question is that I'm undecided if I want to go and buy a boat load of the old Corsa or just wait until I need them and replace with the new version. I'd like to replace with the new version because the rubber is faster (supposedly) but wouldn't if running tubless tires with tubes would be an issue. I'd also like to defer the expense to when I actually need tires.

I'm talking about race day tires here by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts