Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As Goathead thorn season fast approaches here on the West Coast, this thought comes to mind and is a subject that I could not find discussion about in prior threads.

Coming from a mountain bike background into road biking, I am wondering if anyone has success (or not so successful) stories regarding different tubeless wheel / standard tire with sealant combinations?

These type of stories are regularly shared on Mountain Bike Review.

Is it just simply to dangerous to experiment at 90 to 100 psi?

Is it better to run standard lightweight road tires / lightweight tubes w/ removable valve core / Stan's sealant as compared to the current batch of expensive and somewhat heavy tubless ready road tires on the market?

Thanks for your input, Rob

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,575 Posts
I've 25mm and 28mm 'normal' tires w/ tubes on Bontrager TLR wheels for ages w/ tubes. Inflate them to whatever you want, they'll stay on. For reference I weigh 170 and inflate the 25mm tires to 75f/85r, and the 28mm tires to 60ish frt/70ish rr. Not a single flat yet on Bontrager R2/R3.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think he is suggesting trying to use non tubeless ready tires on tubeless rims set up tubeless with sealant. Good question. As you have stated, in the MTB world many regular tires can be successfully set up tubeless with tons of sealant and tape to build up the sidewalls of the rim to simulate a bead hook. Although I've never experimented with road set ups in this manner I don't think it would work. Pressures are already too high in my opinion for road tubeless to always work long term without a hitch, and certainly don't think non Tubeless ready tires can handle it.
I run road tubeless and am a proponent of it for the most part, but have come to some conclusions over the last three years or so.
1) your tires will simply not last as long as when using a tube. Punctures that do get sealed will eventually open up again and again as you start to wear down the tire when the sealant plugged area becomes exposed to the road.
2) not sure if the current sealants on the market are ready for true high pressure road tubeless. The sealant does work 90 percent of the time, but the higher air pressures cause more sealant spray and pressure loss before the sealant can take effect, meaning although you have a sealed and serviceable tire you may lose 10-20 psi in the process.
3) tape does not last nearly as long on road rims as it does on mtb systems. I believe again, that higher pressure is to blame and it just wears out the tape after a while,so rims require re-taping more often.
All that said, I still stick with road tubeless for the feel/lower pressures, but I don't believe it is 100% ready for primetime yet. Even after several years of being available.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I went the other way around, Tubeless tires on non-tubeless rims via the original Stans kit, but not vice-versa. You want the sturdier sidewalls of tubeless tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone....Looks like I will be sticking with lightweight butyl tubes and standard tires for now.

I had a rear tire blow off a tubeless wheel on a 30mph decent on a mountain bike. No big deal, rode through it and stopped. It is obvious based on what you guys are saying not to risk 90 psi on the road with a non tubeless ready tire and sealant only...... I won't tempt fate.

Schwalbe Pro One tire looks tempting, I will try them next time I need new rubber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.