Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As Goathead thorn season fast approaches here on the West Coast, this thought comes to mind and is a subject that I could not find discussion about in prior threads.

Coming from a mountain bike background into road biking, I am wondering if anyone has success (or not so successful) stories regarding different tubeless wheel / standard tire with sealant combinations?

These type of stories are regularly shared on Mountain Bike Review.

Is it just simply to dangerous to experiment at 90 to 100 psi?

Is it better to run standard lightweight road tires / lightweight tubes w/ removable valve core / Stan's sealant as compared to the current batch of expensive and somewhat heavy tubless ready road tires on the market?

Thanks for your input, Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone....Looks like I will be sticking with lightweight butyl tubes and standard tires for now.

I had a rear tire blow off a tubeless wheel on a 30mph decent on a mountain bike. No big deal, rode through it and stopped. It is obvious based on what you guys are saying not to risk 90 psi on the road with a non tubeless ready tire and sealant only...... I won't tempt fate.

Schwalbe Pro One tire looks tempting, I will try them next time I need new rubber.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts