Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running tubeless for 10 years using both converted wheels and Campy two-way. I've run Hutchinson Fusion dry and with Stans in the two-way without problems. I just purchased Maxxis Padrone tubeless for my Campy TwoWay. As I was mounting the Padrone I noticed it said "tubeless ready" and that sealant was required. I wasted six co2 cartridges and couldn't get the tires to seat. So I went to the LBS and after many tries the mechanic finally got it air up using the blow nozzle to push out the tire but the problem was that the Padrone bead would not stay seated in the rim channel. I know on the Fusions once the tire bead goes into the rim channel it stays there and you have to give it a good push to unseat it.

So what the hell does tubeless ready mean? Obviously the Padrone bead does not properly fit the tubeless rim channel. So if I flat the bead unseats and maybe rolls off the rim. That really defeats one of the advantages of tubeless. If that's the case why couldn't you just use any road tire with Stans? I'm thinking I need to stick with Hutchinson or Schwalbe ones on the TwoWay wheels and the Padrone on the converted wheels.

·
Registered
20,800 Posts
So what the hell does tubeless ready mean?
It means it's a tubeless tire that's not to the UST standard, thus it needs sealant. Technically, with UST rim/tire you don't need sealant.

Even though your Pardones are TR, they should still seat up pretty good without sealant. Maybe you got some damaged/defective ones. Did you inspect the bead real well?

I just installed some Schwalbe Pro One's (which are TR) and they seated right up (with a compressor). I let them sit inflated for a few hours before I put sealant in. In fact, I deflated them and test re-inflated them with a pump before putting in the sealant.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
The bead of the Padrone TR is not as tight (small) as the other tires you have used, but it should still stay seated in the rim bead. Note: The channel generally refers to the center channel of the rim.

If your tires are not staying locked into the rim bead of a tubeless rim then maybe they were not locked in all the way to begin with. It's also possible that the bead of the Padrone TR is too wide so it doesn't fit into the bead of the rim. In which case I wouldn't use that tire anymore.

·
Registered
429 Posts
First, I think just because the tire might fall back into the center channel during initial installation doesn't necessarily mean that the tire is more likely to spontaneously roll off the rim during use. How difficult is the tire to mount onto the rim?

Second if you regularly use sealant (this was unclear from your post), after a few days the added sealant will dry around the tire beads and effectively glue it in place so that subsequent deflations will not result in the beads getting unseated. In fact in my experience it usually takes a fair amount of effort to pry them off.

My guess is that a since your mechanic is using a compressor blow attachment to inflate the tire, the tire isn't getting/keeping enough pressure to fully seat the tire beads all the way around the wheel. When I inflate my tubeless tires, I can usually still hear cracks from the beads snapping into place as high as 80PSI. Of course the pressure needed to fully seat the beads will no doubt vary tremendously depending on rim and tire choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.