Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my own learning. I've read good reviews on mtn bike tubeless but have read mixed reviews for road bikes. If your wheel can handle tubeless, is there any real draw backs on road bikes? I've read that once you have an actual flat that won't seal itself up, that its a huge mess...but the other side is....how awesome it is to not carry co2 or tubes and just keep riding....are there other advantages or disadvantages for road bikes?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You still have to carry those things. If you end up with a puncture or cut that won't seal, you need a tube and a boot to get you home.

Also, punctures don't always seal instantly. You will need a way to top off your air

The main benefit of road tubeless is reduced likelihood of small punctures forcing you to patch, and some reduction in pinch flats, which can allow you to run lower pressures with less risk.

If your rides are on hard clean pavement, and you aren't prone to flats, the benefits are fairly minimal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
Why would you not have to carry a tube and a way to inflate it? It's not like they're 'flat proof'...As Migen21 posted you have to carry the exact same stuff you'd normally have, possibly more. Tubeless tires are tight, so you'll need levers to get the bead off the rim. Sealant is a big mess, so I used to bring a shop rag...which wasn't enough the time my tire got well and truly slashed. I used road tubeless for years, not anymore. Mountain bike, yes. Road, no.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
the other thing is, even if a hole seals, there is still a great chance that its latex plug will become unseal as the tire wears down in like, 100-200 miles. Then you're screw. This happens to me in just 1 subsequent ride on a tire that just had about 300-400 miles on it.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Why would you not have to carry a tube and a way to inflate it? It's not like they're 'flat proof'...As Migen21 posted you have to carry the exact same stuff you'd normally have, possibly more. Tubeless tires are tight, so you'll need levers to get the bead off the rim. Sealant is a big mess, so I used to bring a shop rag...which wasn't enough the time my tire got well and truly slashed. I used road tubeless for years, not anymore. Mountain bike, yes. Road, no.
This is the primary reason I have no interest in trying tubeless.

Not to mention that I probably get no more than 1 flat per year, if that. Tubes are cheap. They're also not that heavy - REALLY! :idea:

And are tubeless really more puncture resistant? That all depends. Last year, I was on a club ride where traffic made these two potholes unavoidable. I rode through them and so did the rider behind me. Guess who had two flats (tires trashed) and had to call Uber for a ride home? Not I.

·
Registered
429 Posts
We really need a sticky objective thread discussing the pros and cons of tubeless as this has been debated about a dozen times in the last few years. If there can be three stickys on Chinese carbon wheels, then this topic deserves one too.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
We really need a sticky objective thread discussing the pros and cons of tubeless as this has been debated about a dozen times in the last few years. If there can be three stickys on Chinese carbon wheels, then this topic deserves one too.
Well if we do that, we must also have stickies on the following beaten to death topics:

Wide vs. narrow tires
Lower pressure vs. higher pressure
Rim brakes vs. disc brakes

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've gone tubeless on my fatbike and my cross bike (with the gravel wheels) with no issues but I really don't see a point in going tubeless on the road. I don't flat that often and it's a pretty easy change when I do. I don't know a lot of guys running tubeless on the road but the one time I did see it he got a puncture and the sealant didn't seem to work. Ended up calling a cab home.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well if we do that, we must also have stickies on the following beaten to death topics:

Wide vs. narrow tires
Lower pressure vs. higher pressure
Rim brakes vs. disc brakes
Even in the movie Groundhog Day there was a way to end the madness. If the sticky threads won't work maybe I'll try binge drinking and some one night stands next to see if those break the loop...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Think the Sticky is a great idea.
As written many times before, I've been a fan of TL since Stans started the tubeless conversion kits for non-TL rims, going back 8 or 9 years at least.
To me the real advantage is being able to ride a narrower tire with the feel of a larger one, and since I'm a larger rider (and should be on 25's at least) one of my frames won't fit a 25 so I'm able to run a TL 23 with the feel of a 25.
I realize this is a non-issue on many newer frames that allow spacing for larger tires but it works for me.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Upsides:
- ability to run lower pressure without increasing the risk of a pinch flat
- significantly lower rolling resistance (apparently)
- sealant works pretty well, in my experience

Downsides:
- there's a direct correlation between how tight the beads are and how well the tire seals. Essentially, the tighter the bead the better. This makes mounting good tubeless tires a pain.
- screwing around with taping rims. Then there's the issue of damaging/shifting the tape while mounting/dismounting tires. On top of all this, there's no industry standards for tubeless setups so you're never quite sure if a given rim/tape/tire combo will work well.
- expense. Valves, sealant, tape, tires. None of this is cheap. There are homebrew alternatives to all of this but usually these don't work as well.

Mixed issues:
- sealant being a mess: pull the valve core and install sealant after mounting the tire. No mess. If you blow a tire catastrophically, it can make a mess but at least you're outside. Also, in my experience sealant doesn't leave a ton of residue on the inside of a tire unless you live in a really hot/dry area and constantly need to refill the tire.
- getting a cut in a tubeless tire is a real pain as installing a tube on a tubeless tires is really tricky, especially on the side on the road. One the upside, tubeless sidewalls are generally much tougher than non-tubeless sidewall which makes getting a cut somewhat less common on tubeless tires.
- tubeless tires weigh more than regular tires but about the same as a regular tire + tube.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
One the upside, tubeless sidewalls are generally much tougher than non-tubeless sidewall which makes getting a cut somewhat less common on tubeless tires.
I have seen tubeless tires that had paper thin sidewalls cut when going over big bumps.

·
Registered
20,820 Posts
Downsides:

- screwing around with taping rims. Then there's the issue of damaging/shifting the tape while mounting/dismounting tires. On top of all this, there's no industry standards for tubeless setups so you're never quite sure if a given rim/tape/tire combo will work well.
Not if you use a rim without spoke holes. Then it's a non issue.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Not if you use a rim without spoke holes. Then it's a non issue.
Not to seem ignorant, but how do you lace a wheel that doesn't have any spoke holes?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.