Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows where I could find a vulcanizing tool? I've been using the park tool patch and although they do work, they are not lasting. The patches after a few weeks become brittle. What other options are there besides changing the tubs?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Anyone knows where I could find a vulcanizing tool? I've been using the park tool patch and although they do work, they are not lasting. The patches after a few weeks become brittle. What other options are there besides changing the tubs?
Please define what you mean by "a vulcanizing tool." Are you talking about a "hot patch" system? 99%+ of cyclists just use glue and patches, which can be found at any bike shop. As JCavilia notes, Rema is a good brand of patches and their patch kits contain the glue (sometimes called "vulcanizing fluid" or "solvent" depending on your country of origin). Your bike shop can even order Rema patches in a box of 100 and a can of Rema glue. Rema patches come in different sizes and often the patch kit you buy in a bike shop has a mix of patch sizes. The nice thing about the Rema patches is their feathered edges.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the old days cars had tubes just like our bikes. The process of vulcanization was the fix which a patch was temporary glued against the hole. Then heat and compression was applied. When set and done (typically 5 minutes), the tube looked like new (only a bit of imperfection). Unless (and in some instances) at the valve and a very large tear, the tube was always fixed.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Back in the old days cars had tubes just like our bikes. The process of vulcanization was the fix which a patch was temporary glued against the hole. Then heat and compression was applied. When set and done (typically 5 minutes), the tube looked like new (only a bit of imperfection). Unless (and in some instances) at the valve and a very large tear, the tube was always fixed.
These are the new days, just get a Rema patch kit. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Unless (and in some instances) at the valve and a very large tear, the tube was always fixed.
The same is true for those who use Rema and similar patches. Permanent fix, no heat required. You can see the patch, so it doesn't "look" like new, but it works like new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Rema anything like the park patches? I tried park based on others recommendation and it is somewhat disappointing. Again, i give it a C simply because it temporary holds for you to make it home. Every time I do the water test, it passes. Go biking and still fine. But three days later, the tube is flat at the patch.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Is the Rema anything like the park patches? I tried park based on others recommendation and it is somewhat disappointing. Again, i give it a C simply because it temporary holds for you to make it home. Every time I do the water test, it passes. Go biking and still fine. But three days later, the tube is flat at the patch.
Do you mean the glueless patches, or the vulcanizing ones with the tube of glue? If the former, the Rema patches are different, and better. If the latter, the Rema work the same, and you're not doing it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

I'll give rema a try. Yea, I used the glueless patches. Nice and small to carry with you but other then that, they are pretty useless. Some times I had to put 3 just to make it work temporary.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The cold patch (rubber patch with rubber cement) has replaced the vulcanizing (heat) method in the old days. I believe they stopped using the latter as cars are mostly tubeless nowadays.

The transparent patches are band-aids to get you home. Whatever method, a new tube when you get home leaves you worry-free.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Thanks guys

I'll give rema a try. Yea, I used the glueless patches. Nice and small to carry with you but other then that, they are pretty useless. Some times I had to put 3 just to make it work temporary.
The glueless patches are a good backup to a spare tube, just in case of a second flat. As far as the Rema patches, I've ridden old tubes with 3 or 4 patches with no worry, they work.

If a glueless is used to get you home just repatch with one of the Remas and all is good.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Thanks guys

Your glueless patches didn't work because of one of two things, either you used cheap ones or you don't how to prepare a tube properly to accept the patch. I've been using Specialized and Park glueless patches for over 20 years and never had one fail. I did try the Scab brand once and those failed like crazy, and I've had them fail on latex tubes which I tried using last season and will never go back to latex (there's no cost advantage or flat resistance advantage to latex). And I patch most of my flats on the side of the road, reinstall the tube and ride with no more worries about that patch ever failing. I use glueless on my road bikes, touring bikes, and MTB's, I will never go back to glue on type of patches.

5 bucks a new tube after every flat is for cheap crappy arse tube, but for $3 you can fix 6 flats, tell me which is cheaper?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
5 bucks or less,, new tube,, problem solved.

Flats dont happen all the time and I would rather not have to worry about my suck arse patch job on a crap arse tube.. Just say'n...
Well, you could address that by doing a proper patch job rather than a suck arse one. Just say'n ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
buy a new tube

then send the old tube to a company that repurposes them.... ie www.cycledog.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.