Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
if it did

their would be cad programs to simulate truck wheels...
in the real world of actual road riding, tubes would not get subjected to these kind of forces, i could go for ti but the stuff i've ogled is SOOO springy i opted for carbon.

collectorvelo said:
I am not sure it proves anything

· Registered
167 Posts
Eh. Pointless really. It would have been a more proper test to show the tubes in proper compression (eg, run them over w/truck while they were 'standing' up). While Im no expert, Im sure that tubes undergo laterial forces in a bicycle, but nothing in comparison to longitudinal ones.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
The proper way to test tube strength would be to give Jean-Claude Vandamme a piece of carbon tubing and Dolph Lundgren a piece of Ti and let them have at it. It's more scientific that way. :rolleyes:

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
alienator said:
Chuck Norris can crush Ti tubing by just flexing his butt cheeks.
Chuck Norris is só may 2006.. :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,223 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

First, I don't know where the tubes are from. If the three tubes are actual sections from similarly priced and regarded bikes of different materials then the comparison would be a bit more fair. In fact I'd love to see that truck run over the new Ghisallo.

Second, the titanium tubing was the smallest diameter of the three, and apparently the smaller the diameter, the harder it is to crush. So it's not fair at all.

Third, like other said, being run over by a truck isn't really a real life concern, so it really isn't relevant.

· Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
terry b said:
That video got me thinking. Took two pieces of discarded steerer tubing, 1-1" and 1-1-1/8" and repeated the test.

The pictures speak for themselves. Guess I'm going to have to stop parking my car on my Calfee. :idea:
We may have to throw Terry's test out if he didn't use a Suburban! :^)

I can see where a few of you may have doubt's in Litespeed's testing method, I do too. Considering that they are in the south they should have placed the tubing under a pick up on blocks and rocked the pick up until it fell on the tubing. Then I could believe the results.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
We may have to throw Terry's test out if he didn't use a Suburban! :^)

I can see where a few of you may have doubt's in Litespeed's testing method, I do too. Considering that they are in the south they should have placed the tubing under a pick up on blocks and rocked the pick up until it fell on the tubing. Then I could believe the results.
I was loathe to drag my Suburban out of its bag and to re-connect the battery. Looks like my BMW worked just fine though. :D

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
in harms way..

elviento said:
A couple of thoughts:

First, I don't know where the tubes are from. If the three tubes are actual sections from similarly priced and regarded bikes of different materials then the comparison would be a bit more fair. In fact I'd love to see that truck run over the new Ghisallo.

Second, the titanium tubing was the smallest diameter of the three, and apparently the smaller the diameter, the harder it is to crush. So it's not fair at all.

Third, like other said, being run over by a truck isn't really a real life concern, so it really isn't relevant.

fact is, the only time my bike is at risk from being run over is when I am on it..and trust me my friends....at that point, crushing the TUBING is absolutely the LEAST of my concerns!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.