Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang -

I am considering getting some tubeless tires for my new bike. With all the chip seal and old roads I ride, I like what I hear about the ride with them.

BUT -

I keep hearing that to get the great ride, you drop from the 100-110 PSI most people run, to 90-95 PSI. But with my current 23, tubed, clinchers I usually run them at 90-95 PSI already. Will there be any noticeable difference in ride, assuming the PSI is the same? Should I just save my money?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think you will notice a significantly better ride on those surfaces, even at the same psi. How much do you weigh? At about 195 lb, I run 85f/90r with a Fusion 2 and Intensive, including aggressive descending.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
ergott said:
I'm 168 now and running a 80ish.

-Eric
Eric,
Sorry if you have answered this before. Are you using a tubeless-specific rim, or just using tape? I know it's probably both, since builder have the new 340 rims, so, what I'm getting at, is if you've been using non-tubeless-specific rims, have there been any problems? Thanks.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
euro-trash said:
Eric,
Sorry if you have answered this before. Are you using a tubeless-specific rim, or just using tape? I know it's probably both, since builder have the new 340 rims, so, what I'm getting at, is if you've been using non-tubeless-specific rims, have there been any problems? Thanks.

The only rims I've been riding on are the Stan's 29ers. I have 4 sets of them for road, cross, and commuter. You'd think that I like them or something. I haven't had any problems with the rims at all.

The 2 sets for the cross bike have Michelins (Mud and Jet) and both are the best low pressure setup out there. I run around 20-25psi for cross.

For the road I've used the Fusion 2 and the Intensive. The Hutchinson tires are a bear to mount the first time, but that's about it. Currently, I have the Intensive tires and they are doing just fine. They are under a Soma Smoothie ES with a rack and panniers so I haven't bothered with a direct ride comparison between them and other tires. I love the ride so there's no need for me to start swapping tires to confirm that.

The road/race bike wheels dont' have tires right now. I'm trying to wear out a set of Tufo Elite Ride 25mm tires on my beater wheels. I haven't gotten around to personally try the 340s yet. If I want light wheels I have a set of Edge Composites 24mm (I like them better than the 25mm) tubulars that are in the 900g range;-)

-Eric

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fallzboater said:
I think you will notice a significantly better ride on those surfaces, even at the same psi. How much do you weigh? At about 195 lb, I run 85f/90r with a Fusion 2 and Intensive, including aggressive descending.
Currently about 195. New bike has some Bontranger Race lite wheels - I fully expect to replace them this Fall/winter, and I am wondering about getting some tubeless rims...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Jerry-rigged said:
Currently about 195. New bike has some Bontranger Race lite wheels - I fully expect to replace them this Fall/winter, and I am wondering about getting some tubeless rims...
Just tape the rims. I'm using Stans 21mm yellow tape (double-wrapped, as shown in their videos), valve stems, and sealant on my XR-270s with Hutchinsons. I do have to add air more often (will lose 5psi in a couple of days) than I used to with tubes, but I don't know if that'd be better with a "real" tubeless rim.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What are the highest pressures you've run with the Stan's rims? I'd be interested in building a set of road wheels with the ZTR 355 29er V-brake rims, but the max recommended pressure with 1" tires is 55psi. Also, it'd be nice if they offered lower spoke counts. I expect they'll address both of those with the Alpha 340, but that rim might be too light for me. A 355 rear and 340 front combo might work.

I'd also like to see a little larger and more durable tire than the Intensive for use as a rear tire. It's no wider than the Fusion, it looks like I might be lucky to get 3k miles out of it (not terrible) on the rear, and it's not really tough enough for gravel road use. Then again, I do weigh 195 and our road surfaces are pretty abrasive.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
fallzboater said:
What are the highest pressures you've run with the Stan's rims? I'd be interested in building a set of road wheels with the ZTR 355 29er V-brake rims, but the max recommended pressure with 1" tires is 55psi.
I had them at 90-95 before I realized they are better in the 80s for me. There is no reason to go any higher.

I even took this to work so weight wasn't an issue.

-Eric

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fallzboater said:
Just tape the rims. I'm using Stans 21mm yellow tape (double-wrapped, as shown in their videos), valve stems, and sealant on my XR-270s with Hutchinsons. I do have to add air more often (will lose 5psi in a couple of days) than I used to with tubes, but I don't know if that'd be better with a "real" tubeless rim.
Yea, I've read about taping rims. I probably will do that to try out the tubeless tires. My comment about replacing the wheels is due to all the reports of asploding Bontranger wheels. Maybe mine will last, but I am still planning getting a good Ultegra or DA wheel set this fall.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Jerry-rigged said:
Yea, I've read about taping rims. I probably will do that to try out the tubeless tires. My comment about replacing the wheels is due to all the reports of asploding Bontranger wheels. Maybe mine will last, but I am still planning getting a good Ultegra or DA wheel set this fall.
I've only ever used custom wheels that I've built myself, but the attractive thing about the Bonties is the warranty. If you've got a local dealer, you should be able get them replaced very easily if you have any trouble. The Shimano wheels probably are better, though.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,913 Posts
i'm running velocity aeroheads w/ stans tape/valves/sealant and fusion 3's. while you might not notice a huge difference in ride quality since you're already at fairly low pressure, you will eliminate pinch flats, and having the sealant greatly reduces punctures. i'm not sure what kind of mileage you're getting now, but the fusions really seem to last a long time w/ the lower pressure.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Jerry-rigged said:
I keep hearing that to get the great ride, you drop from the 100-110 PSI most people run, to 90-95 PSI. But with my current 23, tubed, clinchers I usually run them at 90-95 PSI already. Will there be any noticeable difference in ride, assuming the PSI is the same? Should I just save my money?
No reason why the tubeless would ride differently at the same psi.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There is the friction between the tube and the tire that affects the ride quality. This can be lessened somewhat with talcum powder. I have both types of tires and on the same wheels (American Classic Sprint 350's) and at the same pressure there is a noticeable difference. It's a subtle difference but it's there just the same.
Kerry Irons said:
But of course the inside of a tubeless tire has to be treated to make it less permeable, so that stiffens it back up. Pretty hard to get an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no friction between the tire and tube... else the tube wouldn't tend to stick to the tire... instead you'd have a bunch of rubber shavings and the tube would eventually wear through.

·
Banned
7,756 Posts
fallzboater said:
Actually, I find I lose less air with my zipp 303's with yellow tape and stans (fusion 2 tubeless) than on either my tubeless Dura Ace or on my R-sys when I was running tubes. I lose about 5 lbs in 4 days compared to about 10 lbs in 2 days with each of the others.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.