Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who rides tubular regularly? Not just for racing. I'm about to get a set of HED Stingers and they will be for racing, but I know I'm going to want to ride them more than just that. I have a set of Fulcrums for training, but I guess the thought of flatting a tubular miles from home wants me to stick with clinchers. Any thoughts here kids?

Tim

·
Registered
655 Posts
7000+ miles on Campy Boras, 3000+ miles on edge rims with DTSwiss hubs and 3000 miles on Zipp 303's. I gave away my Kysriums clinchers and have been using just carbon tubulars for two years now. I should point out that I live on the east coast so I don't have the goathead thorn issue that some have. In fact I get maybe one flat a year. I use vitoria pitstop on the flats I have had and it worked great but on long rides away on unknown roads I carry a spare tire (Tufo are lite and fold very small). Its no problem for me but you will get some folks that disagree (like everthing else). Learn to glue the tires yourself and learn how to fix a flat. Trust me the first time is the hardest but after a few times its very easy to glue on a tire

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in NH and in the 1000+ miles I've done on these wheels, I've had one flat and I don't even know what caused it. Our roads are pretty clean. I have the room in my saddle bag to fit a tire, so the tubulars might not be a bad choice....

·
Registered
431 Posts
I train and race on tubulars. In about 7000 miles of riding a year, I get one to two flats on the roads here in NE Iowa, where cowsh*t and potholes are the biggest obstacles. I'm a big guy and pinch flats on clinchers were way more common.

If you use tubulars as your training tire, get a case of tires (best prices from PBK) and keep a couple stretching on old rims. Also always carry a good spare and a tire lever to help the flatted tire off. Learn to patch your tubulars (not rocket science) and use www.tirealert.com for those holes you can't locate.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
takl23 said:
but I guess the thought of flatting a tubular miles from home wants me to stick with clinchers.
Rode only tubulars for many years, then gave them up for clinchers and never looked back. But I was always able to change a flat tubular much faster than I can change a flat tube. Perhaps you've heard tales of woe from people who glue their tubulars on so tightly that they can't get them off?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I, too race and train on tubulars almost always. I still have a set of Nimble clinchers, kept to ride on "long remote" rides, but I almost never use em now. The one time I did opt to put them on for a ride with some friends around Mt Laguna in Cali...I got a huge glass cut in the sidewall of a brand new Michelin...so I was pretty screwed anyway, despite having extra tubes and a couple of pals with their spares...Fixed it by folding up a dollar bill inside the tire to get in with...

I've been using my various tubular wheel sets now for a few years of 6-8k miles per year and my flat frequency has gone waaaay down! I carry a "take-off" spare, in a small stuff sack, strapped under my seatbag. I've only had three flats in two years and they were easy to change..but I then turned around and headed in, since I used my spare..

Others will say daily riding on tubulars is dumb and difficult and and and...I prefer it..

Don Hanson

·
Registered
364 Posts
I own three sets of tubular wheels (2 carbon) and NO Clinchers.

I carry Pit Stop, mini pump or CO2 and a cel phone. On long rides out of cel range I carry a spare preglued tubular. Never needed it though.

I have had two flat tubulars in 5 years, one of which was repairable with pit stop, the other was a roofing nail that would have killed the best clincher out there.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
wim said:
Rode only tubulars for many years, then gave them up for clinchers and never looked back. But I was always able to change a flat tubular much faster than I can change a flat tube. Perhaps you've heard tales of woe from people who glue their tubulars on so tightly that they can't get them off?
Beware Tufo extreme tape for this very reason, at least I hear. I don't know first hand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i made the switch to tubulars approxamately 2 yrs ago. the one thing i hated about clinchers was those pinch flats. i prefer tubulars now. i have 3 pairs of tubulars and 1 pair of clinchers wheels.
i think it is just preference. I wouldnt use those Stingers for a everyday wheel though !
i would just get another pair of "trainer" tubulars..........

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been riding only tubulars for a very long time. I one dusty set of clinchers and several sets of well used tubular wheels. I love the ride they have (assuming mid range tires, eg. conti sprinters). I use conti cement and have no ploblems changing tires and I can change them quite a bit faster than replacing a tube and losts faster then patching. Normal box section tubular rims are also stronger at the same weight as an equivilent clincher rim. Repairing them, if they are repairable, is a pain and takes some practice unless you can afford to just chuck them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.