Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2cm section of base tape from a new Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubular decided to stay glued to the wheel as I was taking the tire off. Just wondering if it is ok to glue the section back on and reuse the tire or send it off to get all new base tape installed.

· Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
New Tape Needed

General wisdom on tubulars is that the base tape NEEDS to be a single contiguous piece with one overlapping joint. This helps stablize the tire when fully inflated.

If you decide to go for the repair route, I would say that you need to overlap the new basetape about one inch on both ends of the repair. This might result in a noticable hop or bulge when the tire is remounted.

The safest bet is to replace the entire base tape. You can go ahead and send it out, or do it yourself. The home repair has the likelyhood of not being uniform and the end result being an unstable tire once mounted again.

Personally, I would do the patch repair and religate the tire to the spares pool. YMMV

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rdolson said:
General wisdom on tubulars is that the base tape NEEDS to be a single contiguous piece with one overlapping joint. This helps stablize the tire when fully inflated.

If you decide to go for the repair route, I would say that you need to overlap the new basetape about one inch on both ends of the repair. This might result in a noticable hop or bulge when the tire is remounted.

The safest bet is to replace the entire base tape. You can go ahead and send it out, or do it yourself. The home repair has the likelyhood of not being uniform and the end result being an unstable tire once mounted again.

Personally, I would do the patch repair and religate the tire to the spares pool. YMMV
Thanks much! Better safe than sorry. I'll have the base tape replaced. I've had good luck with Ron at Tire Alert repairing tubes. $9 for new base tape installed is a small price to pay for piece of mind!

· Registered
1,846 Posts
The base tape serves two simple functions. The first is to protect the plies and stitching from wear and tear and chafing against the rim. The second is to provide a surface for the rim cement to adhere to without it's attacking the rubber cement holding the plies together.

If you carefully replace the damaged base tape section without leaving a gap it'll make a fine repair. I use a rubber cement, coating both the tire and base tape and allowing them to dry completely then pressing into place. BTW- it requires some care because with both surfaces coated it acts like contact cement and doesn't allow a second chance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.