Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pr of conti competition 22 tubulars I just mounted and I noticed that after stretching the tires on the rims over night, that both tires had cuts through the entire base tape. It's like they were just sliced or torn straight through, but they didn't come out of the box like this. Mounted on the rims there is a big lump where the tape is separated.

Has anyone ever seen this? I'm assuming the tires are totally not rideable as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Mounting technique?

salesguy said:
I have a pr of conti competition 22 tubulars I just mounted and I noticed that after stretching the tires on the rims over night, that both tires had cuts through the entire base tape. It's like they were just sliced or torn straight through, but they didn't come out of the box like this. Mounted on the rims there is a big lump where the tape is separated.

Has anyone ever seen this? I'm assuming the tires are totally not rideable as well?
It sounds a couple of possibilities. One might be that you overstretched the tire when mounting and that tore the base tape, which would also explain the lump. Another might be that if the ferrules have raised, sharp edges, they could have cut through the tape. The cut tape does not explain the lump in the tire. The lump is either from a defect in the tire or because you didn't get the tension very even at all when mounting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments. The rims are carbon, so no sharp edges to cut the base tape.

One comment, it's not just the base tape that is cut or separated, but the raised center section as well. It looks like I got a pr of bad tires, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Has anyone ever seen this?
I've seen something very similar. In my haste to open a box of mail-order tubulars, I sliced across the tread of both tires with a box cutter. :mad:

Not saying you did this, but someone else may have somewhere beweeen the factory and your house. Are they cuts ot tears? Cuts are usually straight-edged, while tears have ragged edges with pieces of thread sticking out from them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
salesguy said:
Thanks for the comments. The rims are carbon, so no sharp edges to cut the base tape.

One comment, it's not just the base tape that is cut or separated, but the raised center section as well. It looks like I got a pr of bad tires, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.
Any chance you could post a pic of this?
I have had a couple of defective sprinters lately (I think). What seems to happen with mine is a buldge in the sidewall of the tire near the valve (ie. the rubber on both sides buldges out)...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here are some pictures of the torn base tape. I just pulled the tires off the rims, and looking at the tape, it just looks like it torn in half. The tires were tight to mount (like usual), I had them inflated on the rims for 48 hrs to stretch and then glued them us as usual. No tools or other unusual stretching techniques were used.

Comments?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts