Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to glue on my 3rd Conti Giro. For some reason, it WILL NOT seat in a couple of places. Before I glued it I used it to get home, about 35 miles, after the previous one blew. Would having it on the rim fofr a few days fully inflated have caused this? None of the other tires have not wanted to seat right.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
The Giro is a cheap piece of crap. Using a cheap tubular is like sticking the cheapest gumwall clincher on your bike. Likewise, do not use Vittoria Rally tires. They aren't much better. Cheap tubular tires are often "lumpy", "crooked", and prone to easy punctures.
As a minimun, you should stick on some Sprinters. They may last 1500-2000 miles before wearing out ( or they may puncture in 10 miles ) This is the reason that I recomend tubulars only for racing ( or if you're an "old-timer" who grew up on tubulars.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Seriously, any of these "el-cheapo" tubulars are about as round as an egg. Did you notice the big lump just an inch or so from the valve? That's the sign of a very cheap tubular-they use a straight-extruded tube, then overlap and glue them together in the machine. A quality tubular has a continuous tube designed for that size tire.

Spend about $20 more a tire. Or else just grin and bear it, and kick yourself for being cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts