Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had tubular wheels before and I am getting a bike cleaned up for sale for a friend. It has been in storage for a couple of years. Assuming the tires were correctly mounted last time the bike was ridden do the tires need to be re-glued? It's a TT bike with Cane creek CF rims. I may to try sell the bike locally prior to putting up for auction and I don't want anyone test riding it to roll a tire and crash. Should I have a shop re-glue for me? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'd remove the tires and reglue them, the tires may need to be replaced depending on the storage. You will do much better if you tell the potential buyers you've check this and everything else vs. taking the risk.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I have never had tubular wheels before and I am getting a bike cleaned up for sale for a friend. It has been in storage for a couple of years. Assuming the tires were correctly mounted last time the bike was ridden do the tires need to be re-glued? It's a TT bike with Cane creek CF rims. I may to try sell the bike locally prior to putting up for auction and I don't want anyone test riding it to roll a tire and crash. Should I have a shop re-glue for me? Thank you.
Pump the tires to maybe 50 psi (3.5 bar) and try to remove the tires from the rim in several different spots by rolling them with your hands. You will quickly see whether the glue is in good shape. Some glue will hold up well in storage while others dry out. And the nature of the storage can have a big effect as well. Why guess when you can test?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.