Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does glue have a shelf life. I bought a can of mastik one last year and i have a new set of wheels and tires to glue this year. Is there any reason why I could not or should not use the glue I have, or should I get some new stuff.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah I think I have used some that was 5+ years old. (And by 5+ I mean, I have no idea when I bought it, it was sitting in the bottom of my box, probably closer to 10+ years, but needed it in a pinch, so anything was better than dry.)

I would agree with Ron, if it isn't dried out, and you get a pretty good tack from it, it should be good to go.

A one year old can...you are good unless it dried out.

zac

· Registered
214 Posts
Vittoria Mastik One was reformulated about 4 years ago. Prior to that, the colloidal and solid materials tended to settle out and leave a clear thin supernatant and a sludge in the bottom. The supernatant didn't have very good adhesive power and the sludge would paint on a rim OK but not give much holding either.

This stuff is made not by completely dissolving all the materials but by suspending some of it as "sticky" particles in the solution. The older version of Mastik One relied on organic solvents that the Europeans were quite unhappy with, plus it didn't last as well. The new stuff uses more nonorganic solvents (at least aqueous compatible) and also has added stabilizers so it stores better and is less susceptible to storage in very hot or cold conditions. The new stuff shouldn't be an issue. The labeling on tubes changed recently to one with a lot of black on it, but the cans are still the same. If there's no sediment in the bottom it should be OK. If there's sediment, you won't be able to resuspend it properly and should just ditch it.

· Cyclocross fool
451 Posts
Thread dredging here - I have a year or two old can of Mastik, and it's thickened considerably. It's still brushable, but much more thick and sticky than last I used it 6-8 months ago. Should I go ahead and use it, toss it, or is there something I can rejuvenate/thin it with? I'm concerned that my mounting coat will be too sticky to allow easy mounting and aligning.

TIA
Frank

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I had a pint can with about 1/2 inch in the bottom and it sat outside in the garage through heat and cold. I mounted 2 sets of tires three weeks ago and rolled both rears in my first race on them. Checking the fronts when I got home they popped right off and the glue was quite brittle.

Why, I don't know. I suspect my storage of the glue was perhaps the culprit.

I laid on a fresh coat of mastic from a new can and used 3m super weatherstrip and gasket cement for the gluing coat, seems solid I'm heading out the door to race now.

I'm going to play with the 3m stuff this year, I have a couple friends who are having good success with it.

· Registered
377 Posts
jroden said:
I had a pint can with about 1/2 inch in the bottom and it sat outside in the garage through heat and cold. I mounted 2 sets of tires three weeks ago and rolled both rears in my first race on them. Checking the fronts when I got home they popped right off and the glue was quite brittle.

Why, I don't know. I suspect my storage of the glue was perhaps the culprit.

I laid on a fresh coat of mastic from a new can and used 3m super weatherstrip and gasket cement for the gluing coat, seems solid I'm heading out the door to race now.

I'm going to play with the 3m stuff this year, I have a couple friends who are having good success with it.
Really? Very interesting, can you use the 3M product by itself or in conjunction with the gasket cement and Mastik.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
spacemanrides said:
Really? Very interesting, can you use the 3M product by itself or in conjunction with the gasket cement and Mastik.
My friend is using it straight up and has not had issues. He's winning races and running pretty low PSI, so i'm going to trust him on this one. I used it along with the mastic.

I have a set I glued up with mastic I use for training and it loosened after a while, so I used a coat of fast tack to siften up the many old layers of mastic and it's been real solid so far.

· lung lacking loser
270 Posts
jroden said:
My friend is using it straight up and has not had issues. He's winning races and running pretty low PSI, so i'm going to trust him on this one. I used it along with the mastic.
Any reason why he went with the 3M over a standard tubie glue? Is it cheaper? Offers a better hold? Availability? Easier to use?

Thanks

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
if it is still

bikenerd said:
Thread dredging here - I have a year or two old can of Mastik, and it's thickened considerably. It's still brushable, but much more thick and sticky than last I used it 6-8 months ago. Should I go ahead and use it, toss it, or is there something I can rejuvenate/thin it with? I'm concerned that my mounting coat will be too sticky to allow easy mounting and aligning.

TIA
Frank
tossing vapors you are okay. open the jar, does it still have the smell????

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
3M is FastTac

it does work well, you can do it really fast
it was designed for gluing on car mirrors and such

its only downside is it tend to separate your base tape from your tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.