Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please provide advice on basetape that has torn on new dugast rhinos?

I've got 4 new dugasts and started the glue process this week for the CX season. The tires are brand new and were stretched for ~24hrs at 60psi, indoors. 3 layers of Mastik1 were applied to each tire. The tires were then stretched again before the final layup, stretched on clean rims for ~8hrs at 20, 40 and then 60psi. After removing the tires and getting ready to install, I noticed that all 4 tires have noticeable tears in the basetape. the worst tear seems to be thru the basetape, and from edge to edge.
Is this normal and has anyone ever experienced the same issue? My concern is that the tires structure is now compromised and will quickly lead to a weak spot that will expland and bulge away from the rim. I am trying to figure out if I should continue or have the basetape replaced and start over? Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tires often will contract fairly significantly and need a post-gluing stretching to avoid a very painful tire mounting exercise. And without that extra stretching they can often tear when being mounted, just as seen here. After all, mount it on a bare rim or on a glued rim, it's the same exercise -- if it tore in one situation, it'll tear in the other.

The base tape is just protection for the stitching; it doesn't provide structural support. In fact, riders have been known to remove the base tape so that the tire casing is glued directly to the rim so there's no risk of a basetape-casing separation during a race. I don't really recommend that, since the edge of the rim can chafe the casing at that point, but for very important races you sometimes see it as a one-off exercise.

That your tires are showing so many tears is a bit unusual, however. First, if you are stretching the tires manually before mounting them on a rim (with or without glue on the rim), you are probably doing it too roughly. They need gradual stretching. Second, sometimes the glue will dry fairly fast and cause the base tape to shrink more than usual. If so, put very thin coats on and do two or three if needed. Do NOT put one heavy coat on the tire. And lastly, Dugasts and FMBs sometimes do this -- they have more natural variation in how tightly the base tape is applied and in most other aspects of tire construction, so just live with it if you want to ride those brands. You shouldn't see much of a problem with Vittoria, Veloflex, etc.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
11.4 said:
Tires often will contract fairly significantly and need a post-gluing stretching to avoid a very painful tire mounting exercise. And without that extra stretching they can often tear when being mounted, just as seen here. After all, mount it on a bare rim or on a glued rim, it's the same exercise -- if it tore in one situation, it'll tear in the other.

The base tape is just protection for the stitching; it doesn't provide structural support. In fact, riders have been known to remove the base tape so that the tire casing is glued directly to the rim so there's no risk of a basetape-casing separation during a race. I don't really recommend that, since the edge of the rim can chafe the casing at that point, but for very important races you sometimes see it as a one-off exercise.

That your tires are showing so many tears is a bit unusual, however. First, if you are stretching the tires manually before mounting them on a rim (with or without glue on the rim), you are probably doing it too roughly. They need gradual stretching. Second, sometimes the glue will dry fairly fast and cause the base tape to shrink more than usual. If so, put very thin coats on and do two or three if needed. Do NOT put one heavy coat on the tire. And lastly, Dugasts and FMBs sometimes do this -- they have more natural variation in how tightly the base tape is applied and in most other aspects of tire construction, so just live with it if you want to ride those brands. You shouldn't see much of a problem with Vittoria, Veloflex, etc.
+ 1 Nothing to worry about. Use some tubular glue under the base tape if it has separated significantly from the casing. I had this happen to one of the new Vittoria Crono 22 tubulars but I can't remember if it happened after stretching it after applying glue to the base tape and stretching it or after removing it from my test wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts