Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this tubular thing.
I have heard how important it is to get good bonding on the sides, where the edge of the rim hits the tire. I think I'm using enough glue, but where I have wrestled the last bit of tire on to the rim, I have seemed to rub off some of the glue on the rim as the tire clears it, or something, because right under that last bit of tire is where you can peel back the tire and see that there is a gap with not much bonding..
Is there such a thing as lifting that edge and feathering a little glue in there with a brush to bond that last bit? The rest of the rim seems pretty tight. This seems a better alternative than to rip the whole thing down again, because (a) the rest of the rim seems pretty tight, and (b), see below.

In a related query, can you have too much glue on the rim/tire? I have peeled the things off a couple of times already to try to get things right, and the glue has bunched up in places and is actually quite thick in a few spots. It's all new glue, but, . . . . I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
bill said:
I am new to this tubular thing.
I have heard how important it is to get good bonding on the sides, where the edge of the rim hits the tire. I think I'm using enough glue, but where I have wrestled the last bit of tire on to the rim, I have seemed to rub off some of the glue on the rim as the tire clears it, or something, because right under that last bit of tire is where you can peel back the tire and see that there is a gap with not much bonding..
Is there such a thing as lifting that edge and feathering a little glue in there with a brush to bond that last bit? The rest of the rim seems pretty tight. This seems a better alternative than to rip the whole thing down again, because (a) the rest of the rim seems pretty tight, and (b), see below.

In a related query, can you have too much glue on the rim/tire? I have peeled the things off a couple of times already to try to get things right, and the glue has bunched up in places and is actually quite thick in a few spots. It's all new glue, but, . . . . I don't know.
It sounds to me like you are okay. If only a little bit has come off on the last section you are mounting I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes you can have too much glue on the rim. This results in the glue oozing out the side of the tire and onto the rim. It makes for some nasty sticky braking.

Again, it sounds like you've done okay with this. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.