Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you put prestretch your new tubulars on a old rim, will they remain prestretched? I ask this because I'd like to not have to take the time when I have a flat and need to install a new one (and I'd prefer not to have to take the old rim with me when I'm traveling to far off places.

Also, is there a maximum time you should leave a tubluar on a prestretch rim?

·
Registered
765 Posts
if you can get it on a rim to pre-stretch, you should be able to get it on the rim after a flat. I find that they do stay stretched for 'a bit'. How long, depends on tire, amount of time it was mounted etc.

Basically, if the tire was used last season, peeled off, and stored over the winter (to go on a different wheel etc). No problem getting it back on a new wheel.

You can pre-stretch indefinitely IMO

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
if you can get it on a rim to pre-stretch, you should be able to get it on the rim after a flat. ..... You can pre-stretch indefinitely IMO
+1 to both these statements.
If I have prestretched a tire at 100psi for a few days or longer they are easy to mount. I've been known to put both feet in the tire and give it a final pull before glue and mount (even tho it was prestretched).

·
Registered
985 Posts
if you can get it on a rim to pre-stretch, you should be able to get it on the rim after a flat.
You can pre-stretch indefinitely IMO
I agree with these statements too. I pre-stretch a new tire with 150+ psi for several days before gluing. I use the "standard" 3 layers of glue on the base tape. I re-stretch the tire for at least 24 hours between each layer of glue. I put the tire back on the stretcher rim after gluing and keep it there at 150 psi until needed.

I carry an old, mostly worn out tire as a spare on the bike. I take that tire out and put it on a stretcher rim and pump it up to 150+ psi every once and a while to make sure I can still get it on a rim and that it will still hold air.

·
Registered
765 Posts
unless I am doing too good of a job. I don't know that I could change a flat on the road in less time than it'd take to phone a ride. I've damn near got bleeding hands when it comes time to remove the CX tires at the end of the season. I've had the base tape rip off of road tires when it is time to remove...

Just a thought if your really plan to swap a tubular on the side of the road. I carry vittoria pitstop and a prayer

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I meant when riding in far off places where my garage / shop is not available. I travel from my home near Seattle to Santa Ynez to ride 3 or 4 times a winter (1100 miles from home).
unless I am doing too good of a job. I don't know that I could change a flat on the road in less time than it'd take to phone a ride. I've damn near got bleeding hands when it comes time to remove the CX tires at the end of the season. I've had the base tape rip off of road tires when it is time to remove...

Just a thought if your really plan to swap a tubular on the side of the road. I carry vittoria pitstop and a prayer

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've damn near got bleeding hands when it comes time to remove the CX tires at the end of the season.
I now leave a 1/2 inch gap in the glue on the rim next to the spoke that has the magnet so I can pry a tire iron into the gap. I know that is heresy but.... I haven't rolled a tire in 25 years, so.... just sayin'

I do carry Vittoria pitstop as the first line of defense but also carry the old tire as I said in an earlier post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had my first proper “in the field” tubular puncture on Sunday (I’d had one go on the rollers and one so close to home and so slow that a canister of CO2 got me home without any drama).

Dragged myself out of bed to work off the frustration of my car dying, crap rugby and to put myself into a decent frame of mind for a family gathering. The plan was 65km then espresso and poached eggs with smoked salmon before heading into London for the do.

The reality was that just as my legs were loosening and realising that how much they liked my new 12-23 cassette and it’s lack of gaps, there was a loud hissing from the rear.

To cut a cold and windy story short, a decent tyre lever is invaluable for peeling a tubular off the rim when it’s too cold for your fingers to cooperate and threadlocked valve extenders are worth considering if you don’t want to go through the experience of successfully getting the spare on and inflated only for the extender to come off with the CO2 chuck. Mine didn’t but it was close.

The whole thing took me less than 20 minutes from start to finish - being the first time I'd done it and in the cold and bad light, I wasn't rushing. The spare has been folded for about a year and wasn't at all hard to get on. It was prestretched for a week maximum before folding. The punctured tub needed help from the tyre lever to come off but wasn't a major hassle. There wasn't a gap in the glueing.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
In my experience no matter how long you stretch a Conti tubular it will go back like a rubber band once it comes off the prestretching rim, so I avoid them. Veloflex is my brand.
These days I use a cheapo new Tufo S33 as a spare. Rides like a brick I know but it's just to get me home if the Pit Stop should fail anyway.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't run any sealant in mine. I rarely flat ( knock wood).

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I don't use sealant. Haven't punctured a tubular in 13 years. I like to change them before they are worn out. Not a lot of nails, thorns and glass in my parts of the world either. (Could have done with longer and higher hills, though.)

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Tufo S33. Rolls like a brick but is round, cheap and gets you home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.