Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Tubular Zipp 404s for my race day/Century wheels and had a few questions. As is, I am running a Continental sprinter 22mm in the back and a Vittoria Open Corsa CX 21mm up front both attached with TUFO Extreme Glue tape.. Someone on my team was telling me that it is not a good idea to mount continentals or vittorias with the TUFO tape because the base tape WILL eventually separate and the tire with roll off when cornering... I am doing a century with 9000 ft. of climbing in two months and it has a 40 mile descent that I really would like the tire to stay on the rim for.... I haven't had any problems yet but don't want to wait until i have a problem to fix it.

Would you guys recommend I remove the tape and glue the tires? If so what type of glue do you recommend? Is there anything special I should know about gluing or do i just put some on the rim, put some on the base-tape and mount and center the tire then let it dry and race it?

Also, can tufo tire sealant be used in Non-tufo tires?? it worked great in my S33's but my conti sprinter tries to spit it back out the valve-stem every chance it gets....

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Go through the excruciating pain of removing the Tufo tape, and you will learn why Tufo tape has a bad rap. Remove your tires, try and remove the tufo tape and you will vow to never use Tufo tape again. Always glue your tires.
..... And yes, Tufo tape will work just fine with all tire tires.
Don't use the Tufo sealant just doesn't work very well and tends to get really gooey after a while and clogs up valvestems. I would recommend Stan's sealant. Works far better than any other sealant on the market. Though weightweenies don't like the fact that it weighs a bit more.

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rubber Lizard said:
Go through the excruciating pain of removing the Tufo tape, and you will learn why Tufo tape has a bad rap. Remove your tires, try and remove the tufo tape and you will vow to never use Tufo tape again. Always glue your tires.
..... And yes, Tufo tape will work just fine with all tire tires.
Don't use the Tufo sealant just doesn't work very well and tends to get really gooey after a while and clogs up valvestems. I would recommend Stan's sealant. Works far better than any other sealant on the market. Though weightweenies don't like the fact that it weighs a bit more.
Anybody have any recommendations on the best glue and gluing techniques? Never glued before.. Thanks..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have to say I nearly wore my fingers to the bone trying to get the Tufo Extreme off the rim. Then, like CFL said, I found a hair dryer works wonders! However, I've decided to stick with glue. In the event of a flat, I don't break my thumbs getting the tire off, and I just put a pre-glued one on. It can all be done faster than some can change a clincher.

Here is a great tutorial on gluing from VeloNews: http://www.velonews.com/article/74487

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quixote said:
I have to say I nearly wore my fingers to the bone trying to get the Tufo Extreme off the rim. Then, like CFL said, I found a hair dryer works wonders! However, I've decided to stick with glue. In the event of a flat, I don't break my thumbs getting the tire off, and I just put a pre-glued one on. It can all be done faster than some can change a clincher.

Here is a great tutorial on gluing from VeloNews: http://www.velonews.com/article/74487
Awesome video. Thanks! It looks like an outrageous pain in the ass but will be worth it to keep the tire on the rim! I cant believe it take 72 hours to properly glue a tubular...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, wheel glue is weird stuff. I've never seen a glue like it that reactivates when it comes in contact with itself. Remember thin even coats are best. If you don't have any flux brushes, you can spread the glue on the rim quite effectively using your finger and a latex glove. That way it is easy to make sure you have more glue on the sides (where most of the force is) rather than pooling in the middle of the rim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
have used Tufo extreme tape with Vittoria Evo CX's on Zipp 303's for 3 years, riden in the Alps, Dolomites, etc lots of 70kph+ desending, never had an issue. ( knock on wood!).
It is tough to pull the tire off the rim to replace but i guess that's a good thing!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I heard people use the tape and glue together. My idea is put first think layer of glue then put the tape on top of it. Does it help to pull the tape off eaiser on a later day?

·
Registered
666 Posts
BeeCharmer said:
The other issue that's come up with the tape is the tendency for the tire to twist on the rim after it's been mounted for awhile. I've seen it with two different riders in our local club.

We've seen this too in our team. The tires twist around, just like when you inflate them a bit before gluing to expose the base tape...bad thing is that they are alreay mounted so you ride crooked on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts