Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - for my next wheel build, I'm looking at putting together some old school tubulars, and would like some opinions on the options for aluminum rims. These wheels will go on my road bike, which I primarily use for training and the occasional century. My current choices:

Ambrosio Nemesis
Mavic Reflex
HED C2 Tubular

There are various pros & cons for these including cost (HED=expensive, Mavic=budget), cross sectional shape (HED - modern wide style), robustness (Mavic has a reputation for cracking) etc.

What other choices are out there, what is the group think for these rims?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I have had good results from all my Velocity Major Tom builds. I have three sets they serve as my cross wheels. Build up easy and seem very robust. I pretty much won't build any wheels that are not wide rims these days.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just be careful with the tire width you use on Major Toms - you need to use at least a true to size 25 with those. As you probably already know, tubulars have much more likelihood of being at least close to their marked width than clinchers. Every "25mm" tubular I see these days would qualify as a "narrow 23mm" clincher. The 27mm tubulars which will be all the rage the next two Sundays at Flanders and P-R are narrower than any 25mm clincher you're likely to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts