Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for the track, I have pretty much used conti sprinters on my tubular wheelsets. I was looking at the Veloflex and Vredenstein tubulars and was curious if anyone had any experience with them. I want a tire with a little size to it, at least equivalent to a 23mm clincher but am buying them to race. Most racing tubulars are advertised as 21mm, but since tire sizing varies brand to brand, any ideas on a good quality tire other than a sprinter?

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Tubulars tend to be honest about widths, clinchers don't. Mostly, a conti Sprinter is an honest 22mm wide. Some narrower tubulars are as little as 19mm, and cyclocross (and expensive dugast's) can be as much as 26mm wide.

Since tubulars generally are immune to pinch-flatting, you can ride them with lower pressure for a better ride and handling. They also inherently ride better, due to the greater amount of shock-absorbing sidewall. Expect a 21mm tubular to ride as smoothly as a 28mm clincher, but handle as well as a 21mm clincher.

·
497 Posts
I've used veloflex criteriums

Really nice tire...when I could get them for $55. I don't make much money, so can't justify $80-90 for them these days and think the sprinters are good enough.

That said, the criteriums are a true 22 mm tire and have a slightly less rounded profile than the sprinters. I'm much more comfortable pushing limits with them in corners than any clincher including Veloflex Paves or any Michelin. Conti sprinters are also right up there, but the Criteriums have a smoother ride and are a true 240 grams for the weight freaks out there, not to mention less rolling resistance. The rolling resistance of a Criterium on a glued rim is still comparable to the best clinchers (tubulars tend to be slightly slower due to energy loss through the glue, unless you use Shellac or track glue - there's an independent test chart floating around here on RBR somewhere). I've raced roubaixs on them (after my heavy duty clinchers flatted), and rode an old race tire around for the rest of the year, without any problems. They are probably the best all purpose race tire I've used. But like I said before, the sprinters are a fine tire, and you won't get double the performance for double the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts