Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Reynolds Cirro SVs with Conti Sprinters and my front wheel with tire and skewer weigh 800gr. I love the ride and hate carrying a full spare. A bike tech told me he carries a very light/foldable spare. I can't find such a thing..... what is the best option?

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
Carry a spare

gtrguy said:
I have Reynolds Cirro SVs with Conti Sprinters and my front wheel with tire and skewer weigh 800gr. I love the ride and hate carrying a full spare. A bike tech told me he carries a very light/foldable spare. I can't find such a thing..... what is the best option?
The only ways you can save weight with tubular spares is to 1) carry something stupid light, like a track or time trial tire 2) mooch off your riding buddies, 3) have a follow car with spare wheels/tires, or 4) have someone you can call any time you're out on a ride. The problems with these approaches are 1) you'll likely flat soon after you change the tire, 2) your buddies may start mooching off of/ditching you, 3) a bit pretentious and difficult logistics, 4) you have to deal with the added weight of a cell phone.

I can't imaging what your bike tech was talking about - it sounds like clincher terminology, as all tubulars are "foldable". Carry a spare tire and suck it up :)

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The only ways you can save weight with tubular spares is to 1) carry something stupid light, like a track or time trial tire 2) mooch off your riding buddies, 3) have a follow car with spare wheels/tires, or 4) have someone you can call any time you're out on a ride. The problems with these approaches are 1) you'll likely flat soon after you change the tire, 2) your buddies may start mooching off of/ditching you, 3) a bit pretentious and difficult logistics, 4) you have to deal with the added weight of a cell phone.

I can't imaging what your bike tech was talking about - it sounds like clincher terminology, as all tubulars are "foldable". Carry a spare tire and suck it up :)
this day and age, carry two. Oh, and some Tufo goop just in case!

M

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,416 Posts
What does this have to do with anything?
"I have Reynolds Cirro SVs with Conti Sprinters and my front wheel with tire and skewer weigh 800gr."
If you ride tubies for training, then yes, you have to carry a spare. I'm not sure why you are worried about an extra 300 grams. If you carry a spare, it must be carried and folded properly under your seat. I could tell you the "proper" method to carry and fold a tubie, but then I would have to kill you.
Sorry, I don't want the death of a novice tubie rider on my hands.
I'll give you a hint....It involves a "special" Binda toe strap.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yeah, what they said.

gtrguy said:
Carry a spare. Sure, you can patch a tire by the side of the road, and folks do, but it's sort of time consuming and labor intensive. I have a little patch kit for emergencies, but I have a spare as well, and I guarantee that I'll go to the spare first.

As others said: they're all foldable. Now, it's certainly possible to shave 50 or 75 grams off the weight of that sprinter without going to a track tire (which you don't want to do for road use), but you'll spend a few bucks to do it and I find it highly dubious that, while riding, you'll notice the difference between, say, having a conti sprinter folded under your saddle and a veloflex record folded up under your saddle. But sure: there are (somewhat) lighter weight road tires that are still suitable for general use and, for any given model tire, a 19 will likely weigh a few grams less than a 22. In a race or on a special hill climb you can rely on support, but for riding generally you need to choose between (a) carrying a spare tire folded under your saddle, and the couple hundred grams or whatever that entails, (b) sitting by the side of the road and sewing, or (c) calling/praying/waiting for help to come along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts