Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few questions about care of tubular tires. First, I've got a set of pristine Vittoria Corsa CX Seta tires that are about 20 years old! I'm thinking of mounting them on some new wheels. I've heard that aging tubular tires is sometimes a good thing but this may be too much off a good thing! Any thoughts as to whether these tires should be fine or is this not a good idea?

Does anyone know how to get some of the gummy substance that one can apply to dried out casings?

Anyone know what is the best way to deal with glueing rim tape back onto the base of a tire if it starts to peel off?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
"aged" sewups

The material for the sidewalls is called latex. Back when I rode sewups (1970's!), you could buy a small bottle with a cheap brush in it to recoat the sides. Normal aging time back then was 1-2 years. The latex will turn a medium brown color with exposure to UV (sunlight etc) and then begin to crack and come off. It helps protect the threads of the tire and also waterproofs the threads (cotton or silk).

You may want to put them on a wheel (unglued) and pump them up before you go to any work. The tubes themselves may well have started to deteriorate....just a guess.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
You can buy liquid latex from branfordbike.com they call it "tire life"
The best thing to reglue base tape is called barge cement. You can get it at hardware stores.
Chances are, your tubes may be shot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

Maybe I've been saving these for no good reason. My wife constantly reminds me that I'm crazy for keeping all sorts of old cycling stuff.

I'll try pumping them up to see if they hold air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.