Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for a comprehensive thread on this, but didn't see it -- so appologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before.

I have a set of CF tubular wheels on the way, and I'd like recommendations on tires & glues. I'm aware of the RBR CF tubbie review, and I see that only Conti sprinters were used. They're on the list.

Here's what I know:

- These are going to be race day "only" wheels (that is, I'll use them outside of races only for the occasional training ride when I'm feeling lucky about flats).
- These will be RRs and TTs, no crits (trashed too many wheels in the crits).
- I'm a cat 4 (aspiring to cat 3, but no higher), 5' 11", 160 lbs, if it makes a diff.
- Assuming no flats, cuts, punctures, etc., I'd like at least a season of use, maybe up to two seasons -- given that races only will be a small part of my annual miles, I'm frankly not sure what to expect here.
- I'm leaning towards glue, but I'm open to tape.
- I've used Tufo tubular clinchers and sealant, and didn't like either very much.
- I assume based on various posts that the tire-glue pairing matters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have ridden most of the less than $100 tires over the years. The Conti Comp is a great tire but expensive. The Tufos were a great dissapointment - poor ride, poor handling. Vittoria Corsas were ok but the cheaper ones didn't last and had a poor ride. I have gone back to the Conti Sprinter - reasonable price ( about $35 if you shop online), good ride and good handling. I use the Conti glue - it may not be the best but it does work with the Conti tires.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Veloflex make nice supple tires--try the criterium. I use Vittoria mastic for glue.

The conti sprinter has a good rep for a "budget" race/train tire, but if you're reserving the tubbies for special race days, and are springing for CF hoops, why not spring for better tires?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Since this is going to be used on unswept roads, I would recomend Comps with Conti glue. Veloflex or Vittoria's may give you a nicer ride, but you may get more punctures with them.

·
EuroCrash
485 Posts
I've tried the following:
Tufo + extreme tape = rolled tire, never again.
Conti Competition + conti glue = sidewall cut in its third race, easy to glue but doesn't set hard which may give worse rolling resistance.
Vittoria Corsa CX + Mastic = sets hard but is not as easy to glue as the conti.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Well, you've done opened up a can o' worms...

Let me jump in and stir up the pot with a recommendation for either the Conti glue in the can (brush included at no extra charge!) or Fastack. Been using fastack for a while now with no issues. Not the easiest thing to get off, but that 's a good thing.

I liked the Conti Comps when I rode em. Nice riding tire!
The Sprinters were OK.
I don't remember much about Vittoria... I had some Open CX/CGs that I flatted constantly so I gave em away.

Have a pair of Veloflex Criteriums, but the base tape's coming off so I haven't ridden em.

Tufos are OK for training tires. S22s are bulletproof, but ride like crap. S3Pros are OK for the $$. Got my last sets of S3Pros 3 for $100, so I ride em anywhere.

Stay away from cheep Vittorias, etc. most of em have serious lumps in em from where the tubes are joined together. Ugh. Ride like garbage!

HTH,

M

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Everything that I have ever read showed that Conti glue and Vittoria Mastik 1 were equal in their holding power. Everything else was tested as "crap". On a CF wheelset, it would be foolish to try to save money on tires. Comps, CX's, or Veloflex Crits are the way to go.
Ps. Buy some "Barge Cement" at a hardware store to reglue base tape.

·
EuroCrash
485 Posts
MShaw said:
Well, you've done opened up a can o' worms...

Let me jump in and stir up the pot with a recommendation for either the Conti glue in the can (brush included at no extra charge!) or Fastack. Been using fastack for a while now with no issues. Not the easiest thing to get off, but that 's a good thing.

I liked the Conti Comps when I rode em. Nice riding tire!
The Sprinters were OK.
I don't remember much about Vittoria... I had some Open CX/CGs that I flatted constantly so I gave em away.

Have a pair of Veloflex Criteriums, but the base tape's coming off so I haven't ridden em.

Tufos are OK for training tires. S22s are bulletproof, but ride like crap. S3Pros are OK for the $$. Got my last sets of S3Pros 3 for $100, so I ride em anywhere.

Stay away from cheep Vittorias, etc. most of em have serious lumps in em from where the tubes are joined together. Ugh. Ride like garbage!

HTH,

M
I like both the comps and the corsa cx's just an observation on the glue; they both hold the tire glued on equally well. My concern was mainly the rolling resistance as a result of the modulus of elasticity, the mastik appears yield a higher modulus than the conti glue which is more elastic. My perception only.

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I am riding tufo special S33's I like them. Tufo work well when you pre-treat with sealant. Although this week I have had two flats and needed rear wheel trued. I train 200+ miles a week.

For my next order I will see what's cheaper than the S33, paid $43.50 w/ free shipping. I'll have my friend show me how to repair sew ups. The conti sprinter @ $35 sounds like a good deal if you can get a few repairs out of them.

What about the hutch relfex? I see them listed for $29.99

·
Registered
984 Posts
Kannas,

The good news and bad news about the Tuffo tubular tires is that they are tubeless tubular tires. The reason that Tufo has their sealant is that you can't open up their tire to fix a flat - no tube to repair. I have also used the Tufo sealant several times to fix small punctures in other tubular tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered from Ribble:

350 g Conti cement - 7.62 BPS
Conti Vectran Comps (215g) - 29.74 BPS each (4 quan)
Shipping (sorry, "carriage") - 14.50 BPS

xchange rate is about US$1.83/BPS.

No VAT or duties at the UK end. Duties are determined by treaty, and can be found in the latest "Harmonized Tariff Schedule." Default rate is 11%, but most parts and components are at lower rates, and many are free. In any case, UPS is charged with calculating the duties and collecting at or after delivery, and they're spotty at best, frequently charging nothing, even if the tariff schedule dictates more. Better yet, UPS is good about refunding you the appropriate amount if you call them quick enough after the delivery and show them in the tariff schedule what the tariff should have been. (After they forward the money to US customs, there's nothing they can do for you.) I ordered a full Record group from Italy earlier this year, got hit with about $150 in duties, itemized each part, applied the correct duties from the schedule, sent the documentation to UPS and got a $125 refund in about a week. Talked to a real human being at UPS too.

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
tufo, sealant, other tubs and stans

JimP said:
Kannas,

The good news and bad news about the Tuffo tubular tires is that they are tubeless tubular tires. The reason that Tufo has their sealant is that you can't open up their tire to fix a flat - no tube to repair. I have also used the Tufo sealant several times to fix small punctures in other tubular tires.
Yeah that is what I thought, no tube to repair with tufo. I mentioned learning to repair tubs in ref to buying some sprinters in the future.
FYI I was searching around and seems like the best two option for repairing tubs is stans/tufo sealant for small leaks, learning to repair at home or sending a handfull down to FL www.tirealert.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.