Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty good sized gash in my tubular tire and am unsure how to fix. I put them on with Tufo tape and carried their sealant with me. When the tire went flat, I couldn't use the sealant with my tire (hutchinson reflex). Should I try something like Slime to see if it seals or should I repair it by sewing? Not sure of my options on saving the tire.

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
philze said:
I have a pretty good sized gash in my tubular tire and am unsure how to fix. I put them on with Tufo tape and carried their sealant with me. When the tire went flat, I couldn't use the sealant with my tire (hutchinson reflex). Should I try something like Slime to see if it seals or should I repair it by sewing? Not sure of my options on saving the tire.

Thanks
Given the ubiquity of rulers and digital cameras, try measuring it and giving us more data.

Failing that, repairability depends on the tire and original cost and how much life is left in the tire tread. I would retire a tire with a "good sized gash" and glue on another one. It's part of the charm and joy of tubulars. A simple puncture is easier to assess - if there's much life in the tread, you can rip the tire off and send it off to someone who specializes in tubular repair or if you like sewing, you can fix it yourself. Some tubulars are not repairable.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
If the Tufo sealant didn't seal it, nothing will, especially not Slime. All Slime will do is make a gawd-awful green mess of everything.

Since you've used Tufo tape, you can pretty much kiss that tire goodbye. The base tape will never, ever come free from that Tufo tape, so unless you want to rip the whole thing off and start over, the tire is trash. That's the downside of Tufo tape-any tire you adhere with is can't be repaired (or at least not without a complete replacement of the base tape).

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Sol...........................

·
497 Posts
Grumpy is pretty much right

but post a picture with ruler anyway. It's probably not worth trying to fix, unless the gash isn't too big, it's an expensive tire with lots of life otherwise remaining, and you don't have much disposable income. In other words, if it's a Vittoria Rally or Conti Sprinter, don't waste 2 hours of your life.

Since you used that awful tufo tape, you'll have to glue the repaired tire back on without the base tape and not race on it. I did this with an older Vittoria on a rear wheel without problems but the safety experts will probably disagree.

In my opinion, a good glue job works just fine and makes for much easier tire changes. If you're racing summer crits in Arizona or using fat cyclocross tires on skinny old school rims, the stronger Tufo tape bond might be better, but it is an absolute pain otherwise. While it might allow for slightly lower rolling resistance, such as for track racing or time trialing on hot days, I still stick with regular glue (or track glue when the LBS used to have it).

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is a new product by Vittoria called Pit Stop. It is a co2 powered latex foam that is supposed to fix cuts up to 1/8". I haven't used it but From what I gather it has a consistency of shaving cream and will inflate your tire as well as fix it. I will try it out when I get a chance. Might convince me to start training on tubulars again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts