Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been frustrating.

The valve is broken and I cannot deflate the tire. I've been trying with my brute strength (all 155lbs of me) to take out the tire last night but no success.

The valve is broken. I've removed the extender and pushed down with a pen and and allen key. No air comes out and it's just hard. I don't know if the valve is buried in the tire itself but there's no way of pushing it to let the air out.

Should I proceed with the hair dryer technique? I'm afraid it'll warp my carbon rim.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Can you get air in it? Do you need to deflate it?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,554 Posts
Does it have a removable valve core? If not, the tire is toast. Just cut it.
One other possibility is to cut off the valve, and have the tire re-tubed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you get air in it? Do you need to deflate it?
I can get air in it but not fully pump the tire - there's no way for me of knowing how much psi is in it. There's no "click" where something locks in and you can see the tire pressure then you pump. The rear will has the click so I know how much air I got in it.

as for needing to deflate it - yeah I really do unless someone can tell me another method. The tires have some air on it and I would estimate at about 50-70psi left inside.

Does it have a removable valve core? If not, the tire is toast. Just cut it.
One other possibility is to cut off the valve, and have the tire re-tubed.
It's the Tufo S33 Pro

according to post #18 on this thread they come with removable cores:

tubular tire recommendations for a virgin

·
Registered
359 Posts
While inflated it would be difficult to get off even if it wasn't glued. I would either wait for the PSI to drop a bit more or just poke a small hole in it and hope some sealant is good enough to fix it. But trashing $100 tires is just one of the many joys of tubular ownership!

You could also try dissolving the glue in one section with mineral spirits enough so that you can get a tire lever underneath and pry it off. I've had to do that a few times, but you'll always run the risk of damaging the rim.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,554 Posts
Those are the ones that have no tube inside, and are not repairable, .......right?....Did you put some sealent into it? That can really screw up a valve.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try to remove the core (is it clockwise or counter?) and if that fails I'll just wait out until there's much lesser air on the tires.

I'll update the thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.