Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought mt first set of tubular wheels to try out. I'm trying to figure out the best place to carry the spare tubular tire when I ride. I can fit it in a jersey pocket - although sometimes that gets crowded. Where do you guys carry your spare?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Well, I don't do tubulars any more. But for many years, I strapped my expertly folded spare (see photo) under my saddle with a leather toe strap. Some people wrapped their spare with a piece of plastic, put it into an old sock or into a small, store-bought bag. Protecting it does make sense—the strap can chafe the sidewalls and break some threads.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wim said:
Well, I don't do tubulars any more. But for many years, I strapped my expertly folded spare (see photo) under my saddle with a leather toe strap. Some people wrapped their spare with a piece of plastic, put it into an old sock or into a small, store-bought bag. Protecting it does make sense—the strap can chafe the sidewalls and break some threads.
Thanks for that pic! I was folding it in half, and half again, and it wasn't getting very small.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
wim said:
You got it Wim. Years ago when everyone rode tubulars, that's how we'd fold them. Then it was the same as you - an old toe strap (it HAD to be an Alfredo Binda) and thin (but robust) plastic to wrap the tub in.

·
Registered
626 Posts
wim said:

Bingo!!!. Fold it, stuff it in an old sock, and strap it to the back of the saddle with an old toe strap.
The sock works well as a rag if you need to wipe your hands after changing a tire.

Putting the spare in a dedicated, handsome carrying case makes you look like a bit of a queer, or worse... a tourist. Just kidding, don't everyone go getting their panties all in a bunch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's a vote for seat post bag. I saw all kinds of folks taping, strapping, hooking and all other things with their tubes in a long race last month. I then subsequently saw lots of those things laying in the road during the race. Usually the most obvious answer is the correct answer.

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
Protect it

laffeaux said:
I recently bought mt first set of tubular wheels to try out. I'm trying to figure out the best place to carry the spare tubular tire when I ride. I can fit it in a jersey pocket - although sometimes that gets crowded. Where do you guys carry your spare?
The old Binda Extra toe clip strap has all kinds of nostalgia associated with it, but get caught in a few rain storms, and that spare tire will look like it spent a few days submerged in a swamp. Not only that, the chafing tape might start to delaminate, and any residual glue you have on the tire will be saturated with dirt and so no longer help stick the spare to the rim. Put your spare tire in something that won't let dirt and water reach it. Most socks will NOT fit the bill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts