Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I'm still a track newbie but I'm going to go ahead and say no, not for a concrete track. With concrete you're more likely to have uneven transitions between slabs or turns and straights so the extra width might help with a little more comfort and maybe less chance of a pinch flat if you weigh enough for that to be a concern.

Again, I'm still new to track racing and you didn't say which track or what condition its in so it's just my two cents.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
A thought.

22s are fine, but glue your tires really well. There's no need to remove them quickly from the rim while you're at the track, so glue them on bomb-proof.

I can only imagine pinch flats riding clinchers on a pot-holed track. The area you need to watch on your track tubulars is the sidewall. Let nothing touch the sidewalls when you haul your bike or wheels. Check for broken sidewall threads all the time, and glue them back down if you find any. At the high pressures used on the track, a weakened sidewall can easily blow out.

·
Blacklisted
143 Posts
wim said:
22s are fine, but glue your tires really well. There's no need to remove them quickly from the rim while you're at the track, so glue them on bomb-proof.

I can only imagine pinch flats riding clinchers on a pot-holed track. The area you need to watch on your track tubulars is the sidewall. Let nothing touch the sidewalls when you haul your bike or wheels. Check for broken sidewall threads all the time, and glue them back down if you find any. At the high pressures used on the track, a weakened sidewall can easily blow out.
Good advice. A 22mm tire should be a good choice. You may find a slightly wider tire (v. a 19mm) to be the best choice for a rougher track for all the same reasons as a road application. Consider moderating the pressure, too. Two hundred psi on a bumpy track is going to make for a skittish bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.