Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for tubular tires for next season, it will be my first year on tubulars for cross, hope its as good as everyone says.

I am considering the racing ralph, fango or tufo primus. I live in North Idaho and primarily race in N. Idaho and E. Washington. Cross season is generally dry here, and I would imagine similar to the conditions in Bend. I'm also planning to race nationals this fall so I want something that will work well down there as well as up here.

Any recommedations from those in Bend or who have raced there?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
If it's not going to muddy at all I'd go with a file tread. If it's your only set of wheels, maybe the good old Challenge Grifo? Hard to go wrong with that.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
one set of wheels

Grifo
two wheelsets
Grifo
and XS File Tread
also Grifo Front & File tread rear

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure I'd count on a very dry course. It can defintely rain in Bend or water the course. Check out the photos from the "Thrilla in the Milla" cross series on webcyclery.com (maybe can also google) for photos. I hear the Nats course will be in the same general part of town.

·
Registered
34 Posts
love tubies

I live in Bend I just got my first set of tubies which are Challenge Grifo -
love the ride - like everyone else i think that would be a good tire choice -
i would expect it to be dry at nationals in sept with a less the 15% chance of rain

·
Registered
280 Posts
look585carbon said:
i would expect it to be dry at nationals in sept with a less the 15% chance of rain
According to USA cycling the CX National championships:

"With scheduled dates of Dec. 10-13 in 2009 and Dec. 9-12 in 2010, the two-year commitment returns the national championships to one of the most popular hotbeds of cyclo-cross racing in North America"

If this has changed, please post info.

The Thrilla series does start around Sept.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the Grifo might be the way to go... I can always put mud tires on my tubeless wheels just in case things get sloppy.

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to start racing!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm bringing Grifos on one wheelset, Rhinos on the other. I like ATP's idea of the file tread, I'll dig around ebay and pick up another rear wheel for a Grifo file tread.

·
Registered
34 Posts
adimiro said:
According to USA cycling the CX National championships:

"With scheduled dates of Dec. 10-13 in 2009 and Dec. 9-12 in 2010, the two-year commitment returns the national championships to one of the most popular hotbeds of cyclo-cross racing in North America"

If this has changed, please post info.

The Thrilla series does start around Sept.
your are correct - i will raise my forcast to 30% for dec :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I appreciate the credit

but all I am is the messenger. I saw and heard guys doing it last year. made sense so I'm just passing it along.
I have a training set of tufo dry plus and cubus I'm going to try out as a bargain version

1 - 10 of 10 Posts