Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what is going on with my tubular tires. this is my first set. I seem to have a slow leak and when I pumped my tire up in the rain, pre-race I could see air bubbles coming out of the sidewalls. I had put some pitstop in it previously due to the leak but it seemed to be loosing air too fast and I deemed that it wasn't working but now it seems to hold air overnight with no more loss than one would attribute to a latex tube. What is going on here? I assume I have a hole if air is coming out of the sidewalls at 80 psi, but last night in another test with no changes made to the tire (no pitstop added) it seems to hold air over night...

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Leak fixed

tjib13 said:
Not sure what is going on with my tubular tires. this is my first set. I seem to have a slow leak and when I pumped my tire up in the rain, pre-race I could see air bubbles coming out of the sidewalls. I had put some pitstop in it previously due to the leak but it seemed to be loosing air too fast and I deemed that it wasn't working but now it seems to hold air overnight with no more loss than one would attribute to a latex tube. What is going on here? I assume I have a hole if air is coming out of the sidewalls at 80 psi, but last night in another test with no changes made to the tire (no pitstop added) it seems to hold air over night...
IME when you see the fizzy bubbles the tire definitely will NOT hold pressure overnight. I'm guessing that between when you saw the bubbles on the wet tire, the Pitstop found its way to the small hole and plugged it. I'm betting that if you pumped up your tire and put it in some water, you wouldn't see any bubbles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fail! came home to find rear clincher was flat, in haste to make the group ride I figured since the tubular seemed to hold pressure over night it'd be g2g, I threw it on and off I went only to get a full flat 5miles from my house. Also in my hurry to get out the door I forgot to put my co2 in my pocket so no way to blow up the spare I brought. no matter how good your kit looks any kit looks stupid when your walking next to your bike.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
tjib13 said:
fail! came home to find rear clincher was flat, in haste to make the group ride I figured since the tubular seemed to hold pressure over night it'd be g2g, I threw it on and off I went only to get a full flat 5miles from my house. Also in my hurry to get out the door I forgot to put my co2 in my pocket so no way to blow up the spare I brought. no matter how good your kit looks any kit looks stupid when your walking next to your bike.
I've had similar bad experience with latex sealants, but many have had good luck. Once the hole has been sealed and the tire holds air for a few days and a few rides it will probably be OK. I wouldn't race on it however and I don't train on tubulars so if the tire is in good shape I'd either take it apart and patch the tube (finding the puncture is sometimes an adventure) or send the tire to Tire Alert for a re tube. Ron doesn't offer latex tubes but sometimes he will retube if you send him a latex tube and pay him regardless of the outcome (he says he has had a lot of trouble with latex tubes in the past). Or go with a butyl tube if you aren't concerned with a slight hit on rolling resistance - use the tire on the front wheel where the load is less than the back wheel.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Seat bag?

tjib13 said:
I forgot to put my co2 in my pocket so no way to blow up the spare I brought.
So this is why some of us keep all that vital stuff in a small seat bag. Never leave home without it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts