Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning to focus on cross this year and would like to get a set of tubular wheels. I used to race in the mid-atlantic but moved a few months ago out to Colorado. On a recent group ride, another racer told me that tubulars aren't so popular here because there are a lot of puncture risks (thorns, goatheads) and tubies just aren't worth it.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it worth trying them anyway or am I likely to destroy too many expensive tubular tires? What do you do if you puncture a tubular tire?

Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would still try the tubulars, total worth the benefit of running lower pressure. Now saying that I'm racing in the mid atlantic. But I did get a flat at race this year but I was able to ride the front wheel flat for 2 laps before I switch my front wheel. But I would put Stans in the tires that will help plus you might want to get a tire with tougher sideway.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Stan's

There are a couple of goat-head infested courses here in UT. I don't recall a single puncture related flat during a race in the last three seasons. On the other hand, I have a friend who managed to flat two of my tubulars in a single race (and 3 of his clinchers IIRC). However, the tires are still going strong thanks to Stan's sealant.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I witnessed PBB's goatshead encounter. What was it? 126 in the rear and 62 in the front?

I also used stans and picked out a number if them from my tires during the season with no air loss.

Rich

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Something close to that. But I'm not sure what the final count was -- I was finding and pulling out barbs weeks later.

After two season, I'm morbidly curious to know what kind of carnage my Grifo casings are holding.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have been racing exclusively on tubular's for the past 3 years IN COLORADO!

I have 4 pair plus some extras. You have to use your brain a little and not run the 2 week old Dugasts on a goathead minefield. For the occasional course with lots of thorns I run an old pair of Tufo's with a bunch of stans, other's might just run clincher's.
Tubular is the #1 equipment advantage for Cross, period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts