Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking with a buddy over the weekend and he mentioned he put abit of stans in each wheel once glued and on. Being a 2nd year tubular user it was news to me.

So how many of you that run tubbies actually put some sort of sealant in the tire?? If so what are you puttin in and how much.

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use the Tufo sealant. It calls for 1/3 of the bottle, but I usually use 1/2 because it'll set up before I need that last 1/3. I have also used slime, which works great for sealing punctures after the fact.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I use stans. Don't put it in until it isn't holding air well or I flat. That usually isn't very long, tho.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kram,

Why not put it in before you flat?? I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious.

Come on peoples speak up..

·
Registered
559 Posts
I use caffe latex in all my tubulars. Works great. It even sealed up a pinch flat last year. As for little holes...it either fixes them fast enough I never know about them or I just don't get those type of punctures.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
If I don't need something, I don't use it. That's just me. No problem with putting in a shot as prevention.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've successfully used Tufo sealant to seal a puncture on my Flexus 32's. Saved me a lot of money and time in tubular replacement. Because of materials chosen by Tufo for the inners of their tubulars, they are apparently some of the most repairable tires on the market. Also, the sidewall are more sturdy than the Dugast and don't need aquaseal (more weight).

I paid a lot to get a light tubular, hence won't add weight by puting in sealant (or aquaseal) before I get a puncture. Also, by the time it seals itself, you've likely lost 1/4 of your tire's air pressure, and are at risk of rolling it off the rim. Better to pit than try and finish the race on same wheel.

So to sum up - sealant after, not before, puncture on cross tubs used for racing is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I find that Caffe Latex seals better than Stans. A few of the tires I fixed with Stans only held air for a day or so. Caffe Latex seems to get them back to "as new".

I put it in now before I puncture. I would rather carry a little extra weight and ride a tire to the pit with 3/4 the pressure than to run to the pit with no pressure.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
been using either

Stan's or Tufo. May try the caffelatex next time
I know goat heads!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have 80mm carbon Hed rims. I recently got a flat in the tubular. Can I use a sealant when I have the valve extensions? If so, how?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
You need to remove the valve core in order to shoot the sealant in, so however you'd do that with extentions, that's what you'll have to do.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i have been using it for road and cross tubulars for two years, i use a couple ounces in the new tires when i put them on and they generally will last until the tread is gone. I have been happy with the stans but it sems to turn to gunk over time, I may try some of the new foamy products when I run out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
rockdude said:
Here in CO, we have several races with Goat Heads and a sealant is a must. I have used about 3 oz per tire of slime in the past and it worked. I am going to try Stans this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E95lxyZkGw
I was going to say the same thing. I use Stan's right after gluing them, when I get a goat head, glass, etc. stuck to my tire I just pick it off and ride. If there's performance loss I don't notice it. Just spin your tires occasionally if they aren't being used.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
on yer left said:
Was talking with a buddy over the weekend and he mentioned he put abit of stans in each wheel once glued and on. Being a 2nd year tubular user it was news to me.

So how many of you that run tubbies actually put some sort of sealant in the tire?? If so what are you puttin in and how much.

Thanks
I use slime, but I don't use it until the tire is leaking air. I only use it for slow leaks and throw away tubulars that have blowouts while I am riding. I have learned my lesson about using too much slime. One time, I put so much in and had the valve stem at the bottom of the wheel that it all shot out after I took the tube off. Then, every time I went to pump up the tire for the next couple of weeks I had that stuff shooting out. Silver lining in that messy cloud is that the leak was sealed and I got a lot more mileage out of that tire.

I continue to use slime, but I just put a little in with the valve stem in the up position, pump the tire up, ride it for a little while, and that is usually the end of the slow leak.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Kram said:
You need to remove the valve core in order to shoot the sealant in, so however you'd do that with extentions, that's what you'll have to do.
If he put the extensions on, he will know how to remove the valve head since it needs to be removed to put the extension on and then it needs to be put back on top of the extension. The caveat here is if he is using Zipp extenstions, which I hate. If he is using Zipp extensions, good luck trying to use sealant by shooting it in the Zipp extension. I wouldn't even recommend trying it, unless Zipp has changed its design from 2 years ago where the extension just screwed on top of the valve head, the valve head remained open, and the air pressure in the extension was what eventually pushed the valve head down. I had so much trouble with the Zipp extensions that I e-bayed them all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts