Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the most puncture resistant tubular tire for my girlfriend's Ironman Triathlon in August - not really looking for a Tri specific tire...more interested in durability - hate to have her have to deal with a flat. I've read good things about the Conti Comps and GP4000's, and the Vittoria Corsa EVO KS (I have used Vittoria EVO CX tubulars in the past). Any opinions???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
are clinchers out completely?

I must ask, are clinchers out completely? can your girlfriend change the tube on a clincher? why exclusive on tubbies?

reason being, if flats are a BIG concern, here is some food for thought. I commute daily on roads that have glass, nails, garbage, cracks, huge potholes, you name it... lying there in the lane I pedal on. Since installing kevlar messenger tires, there have been zero flats for 4000+ commuter miles. Oh yeah, I got 2 flats after less than 200 miles using Conti gator skins on the same daily commute before switching.

A lot of flats are caused by not taking the right path to avoid a flat, but sometimes, it is inevitable to avoid a car or something.

Come to think of it, the only flats I've had are since I moved to New York. Whats wrong with this place? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Go with the Corsa CX's. I've been using them on my deep rims and have had no problems what so ever. They are a great tubular and i recomend getting them from somewhere like PBK as they usually have good deals on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
green_mnt_boy said:
I must ask, are clinchers out completely? can your girlfriend change the tube on a clincher? why exclusive on tubbies?
:D
Of course she can change a tube on a clincher. Reason for tubulars: Mainly weight for a race.....Zipp 404 clinchers with tubes and tires weigh in at about 2290 grams for the set, while tubular 404's with tires are about 1732 grams - that's 558 grams less of rolling weight. Tubulars are also quicker to change during a race - just rip the old one off and pop the new one on. Thanks for your input, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
phototravel said:
Of course she can change a tube on a clincher. Reason for tubulars: Mainly weight for a race.....Zipp 404 clinchers with tubes and tires weigh in at about 2290 grams for the set, while tubular 404's with tires are about 1732 grams - that's 558 grams less of rolling weight. Tubulars are also quicker to change during a race - just rip the old one off and pop the new one on. Thanks for your input, though.
If you can change a tubular faster than a clincher. I'd love to see it!! I've yet to see someone change a tubular as fast as you can pop one side of a clincher off and replace the tube!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was98strat said:
If you can change a tubular faster than a clincher. I'd love to see it!! I've yet to see someone change a tubular as fast as you can pop one side of a clincher off and replace the tube!!!
....I don't know - maybe it's a wash if you're not taking off the entire clincher tire. I just know that I can stick a tire iron in, rip off the old tubular, are pop a new one on in a VERY short amount of time. When I change a clincher, I take off the whole tire, check the inside of the tire for debris (glass, etc.) put the new tube in the tire and spend quite a while (some tires longer than others) getting the tire back on and the tube in a place where it isn't going to cause the bead of the tire to raise up and let the tube sneak out when I pump it up - don't have to worry about any of that with a tubular...
I only use tubulars for races, though as the cost is much higher of a flat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Ah,

That's why. Normally the fast way to change a clincher is to just pull one side off, rip out the tube, then quickly run the tire iron around the inside of the tire, pop the new tube in and pop the bead back in, pump and go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was98strat said:
Ah,

That's why. Normally the fast way to change a clincher is to just pull one side off, rip out the tube, then quickly run the tire iron around the inside of the tire, pop the new tube in and pop the bead back in, pump and go.
Yeah- I worked at a bike shop for many years, so I always did it "by the book" for customers and I guess I just transferred that technique over to my own bike. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
phototravel said:
I am looking for the most puncture resistant tubular tire for my girlfriend's Ironman Triathlon in August - not really looking for a Tri specific tire...more interested in durability - hate to have her have to deal with a flat. I've read good things about the Conti Comps and GP4000's, and the Vittoria Corsa EVO KS (I have used Vittoria EVO CX tubulars in the past). Any opinions???
I've done IMC a few times, maybe the same race your g/f is doing. Nay a problem with GP4000 and even did a couple of HIMs and IMAZ on the same pair. 1st time at IMC, I had Tufo's, got three flats. Rode Tufo's again in an Oly distance race that year, flatted...

I can change a tub faster than a clincher (as long as the tub is pre streched and glued). This is not a problem for Tri's, I'd not want to replace a Tub during a crit and race it...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top