Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep it's another should I run tubbbies thread, but I think this covers new ground.

I am in the process of choosing wheels for a new build. While I live in Sydney, where traditional CX racing is thin on the ground, I love nothing more than the feeling of riding a high performance, race-ready cross bike in the bush (er, woods), pretty much wherever I'd ride my MTB. For a few months now I've been happy running Hutchinson Bulldog tubeless, which have demonstrated the benefits of low pressure, but I can't rid myself of the niggling feeling that life is short and it might be really fun to finally try a set of nice tubulars, probably Dugasts.

My 'misuse' of my cross bike ranges from 4-5 hour trail rides, hot laps at my local practice courses (mostly grass), short track MTB and occasional 100km MTB marathons. The trail conditions here in Sydney are probably most similar to Southern CA or parts of Colorado -- rocky, sandy, almost never truly muddy. I would run sealant in any setup, tubular or tubeless. I am 6' 3" 163lbs.

Would it be completely misguided to run tubulars? Would I destroy them after five glorious minutes? Wouls sealant solve my problems? Do any of you have experience running tubbies away from the race course? Should I move to Portland just so I can experience the pleasure of running Dugasts in a real cross race?

Cheers

Crosser

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had two months of riding tubulars offroad as you describe; training rides, single track, fire roads, etc. before a moments inattention destroyed my rear wheel....bent rim and a huge gash in the sidewall. That said, the two months prior to the "destruction" were glorious. My confidence level went way up, probably adding to the "destruction probability." Tubulars are great for racing but after rebuilding my rear wheel, I'll keep them for racing only.

Aside from the cost of rebuilding my rear wheel, I had to walk six miles back to my truck. Food for thought.

-B

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
crosser said:
Should I move to Portland just so I can experience the pleasure of running Dugasts in a real cross race?
Well, yeah.

As far as your other question goes, if you've got the bucks, why not? I'd say that a nice set of tubulars is going to pay back in spades for races but not so much everywhere else. A tubeless setup is going to be the ticket for most other riding because it's forgiving when you happen to flat.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You can crash a clincher just as fast as a tubular. Tubulars perfom much better on a cross bike. They are less prone to pinch flats and give a smoother ride. Flats however are an issue. I carry a spare road tubular pre glued and rolled up to get me home just in case. I also have use vitoria pittstop to repair a flat but it does not always work. I should add that I live in an area without goat head thorns and such. If I lived out west clinchers would be my training wheels

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been riding nothing but tubs for years for all types of riding and never had any more problems than I did with clinchers. If anything, less problems, because I use Tufo tires that don't have a tube inside them (the casing is sealed) so I never get pinch flats. I weigh 180 pounds and can run as little as 28 psi in the front and 35 in the back, so traction is never a problem, you just have to watch the big hits to protect your rims. Another advantage is that you don't have to worry about your tire coming off or moving around the rim when the pressure is that low, like you would with clinchers. Tufo tires are cheap too, at least compared to Dugast or the top of the line Challenge tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice -- it's just the sort of info I was looking for (especially from Alchemist, who should have bided his time listening for that tubbie to pop in the last 10km of the Fling:p ).

Tubeless is probably the go for Sydney conditions, especially for 100km races. That of course doesn't mean my mind is made up. After all, If practicality were the goal, I'd ride a 5" trail bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.