Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be getting a tubular wheelset and im debating about tires.

im not sure if i should spend the dough and go all out of a set of FMBs , Dugasts or Veloflexes, or should i spend aloot less and get some continental sprinter type mid range tubulars. are the uber high end ones that much better than the mid rangers

the wheelset im getting is a classis 32 spker box rimmed one, i will use it not everyday but when id like to, as a treat. races too probbaly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In my experience the best riding tire are NOT the most durable . ie FMB or Dugast, they are awesome tires but i personally would use those for a TT only set up.

Veloflex carbons are nice and seem to be a little more durable that the above. but not by much, still very nice ride.

Most durable for me are Conti comps, or tufo's but the conti's ride better and can be repaired.

As Lectron suggests why not just ride em whenever you want.

I have one pair of clincher wheels and 4 pairs of tubular wheels, including a pair on my commuter fixed gear.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,884 Posts
CHeap-0

I'm a cheapstake at heart and I ride Vittoria Rally tubies for my everyday ride. Some people claim they are lumpy like high school cafeteria oatmeal but I don't find that to be true. They still ride better than any lightweight clincher I've tried. Sometimes my local LBS has them on sale for $19.99! I usually stock up because I get too lazy to repair them when I get a flat.

BTW, my racing tubulars are Vitorria Corsa EVO CX

·
Banned
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
funny you mention the rallys, i just bought one vittoria rally for 12 euros, so about 18 dollars in a supermarket in france. a flippin supermarket, a very big one too, similar to safeway. i bought it for kicks, but i laughed cause finding tubulars in bike shops is hard, i know of one out of a lot in vanoucver that sell them on the shelfs.and in fracne they sell them for cheap in superstores. they also sold glue and latex sealant. cool stuff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
AidanM said:
hahah no, in the sporting goods section, it was actually more like a grocery store/derpartment store. it was still a cool sight to see. good luck finding tubulars at kmart or safeway/ wal mart

Do you recall the name of the store as I will be heading there in October and would like to check it out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
AidanM said:
cora, and it isnt worth making a detour for, it was cool, but vittoria rllys rent exactly top notch, still a good deal and a colol sight.
They're great value for training tires. I used them for the last 5 odds years and have been happy with them. I figured if I happen to pass by the store, I will drop in and check them out. Otherwise, I'll get them from PBK where they're also reasonably priced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.