Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: Im a roadie who's considering moving to the Tuscon area. I have a freind who was recently there and said that it might not be a good spot to cycle do to all the drunk illegals in the area. Is this true? Are cyclist often injured there by illegals and drunks, does this sort of thing happen weekly to cyclist in the area? I hope not as I was looking forward to moving there. I had down loaded some photos provided by someone on this sight of a nice hill that I had looked forward to climbing. The area in which the hill was is that a bad spot to ride? Thanks. Morgan

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Carbonsnail said:
Hello: Im a roadie who's considering moving to the Tuscon area. I have a freind who was recently there and said that it might not be a good spot to cycle do to all the drunk illegals in the area. Is this true? Are cyclist often injured there by illegals and drunks, does this sort of thing happen weekly to cyclist in the area? I hope not as I was looking forward to moving there. I had down loaded some photos provided by someone on this sight of a nice hill that I had looked forward to climbing. The area in which the hill was is that a bad spot to ride? Thanks. Morgan
Drunk illegals? I would be more concerned with the minutemen. I haven't been to the area, but when I was living in the US, it seemed the illegals tried to keep the lowest profile possible. I was more endangered by white suburbanites.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have lived in Tucson for 4 years now, and think it is a great place for riding. I have not yet encountered a drunk or drunk illegal while riding that I know of, but have had my share of dunderhead motorists. They are everywhere though, and compared to Minnesota where I am from originally, it seems the same - except I can ride year round here, commuting to work is easy, and there is a greater variety of rides - oh, and Mount Lemmon. Maybe the hill you are referring to is Gates Pass - which is very narrow, but also a good climb - cars are usually going slow anyway. I wouldn't consider Tucson a border town - we are 80+ miles north of the border. There is a lot of Mexican culture here, and probably a lot of illegal immigrants, I just haven't had direct problems with either.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Thorn Bait said:
I have lived in Tucson for 4 years now, and think it is a great place for riding. I have not yet encountered a drunk or drunk illegal while riding that I know of, but have had my share of dunderhead motorists. They are everywhere though, and compared to Minnesota where I am from originally, it seems the same - except I can ride year round here, commuting to work is easy, and there is a greater variety of rides - oh, and Mount Lemmon. Maybe the hill you are referring to is Gates Pass - which is very narrow, but also a good climb - cars are usually going slow anyway. I wouldn't consider Tucson a border town - we are 80+ miles north of the border. There is a lot of Mexican culture here, and probably a lot of illegal immigrants, I just haven't had direct problems with either.
What Thorn Bait said. I'd like to know what Aryan, KKK, or Republican brochure your friend got his info from. If there are a lot of "drunk illegals" here, then they drive much better than the sober folks back in Ohio. I think just the assumption that the illegals are "drunk" shows quite a bit of ignorance and racism.

Did your friend say anything about "all" the drunk white folk? Oriental folk? Germans? Armenians? Indians?

If Tucson is a dangerous place to ride, then it's news to the 100's or thousands of us cyclists on the roads each day.

Tucson is a GREAT place to ride: lots of bike lanes and their numbers are growing; great weather; lots of other cyclists; great scenery; great rides w/ great climbs; and etc.
Tucson also has a great cultural mix: the heavy influence of Mexican culture is very cool and is NOT a detriment.

Come on out here and ride. Just please leave your friend at the state line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tucson is a great place to live and ride. I have been here since 1967. Never a problem with "illegals". Am somewhat suprised that it would be an articulated concern. I guess the misinformed political rhetoric is sticking. If you think about it an "illegal" will try and keep a low low profile since they want to stay in the country. Also, they probably have little use for a high end road bike . In any event the Mexican heritage here is awsome.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Your friend is either a stereotyping bigot or he's pulling your leg. I hesitated to even dignify this with a response, but the misinformation is staggering. Tucson's a great cycling town. The only drawback is that it is getting too big!

·
Registered
732 Posts
azcycle said:
I know I'm REALLY late on this thread, but CHRIST! Is your friend's last name Limbaugh? I say we throw your racist friend over the wall and see how he fairs by himself over the border.
Yeah, what were you doing in Feb 06?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like how some of you guys associate KKK, aryan nation with republicans, thats just not right. It would be like associating democrats with the people who bomb abortion clinics. Think before you type. Don't generalize, not about people, religion or politics. Most people on both sides have a level head.............

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
:p
scottmilk9 said:
I like how some of you guys associate KKK, aryan nation with republicans, thats just not right. It would be like associating democrats with the people who bomb abortion clinics. Think before you type. Don't generalize, not about people, religion or politics. Most people on both sides have a level head.............
Well, cupcake, you drew the association that you wanted. My grouping of those "groups" was because of the attitudes of those "groups" and "party" toward immigrants. And it would be more appropriate to associate abotion clinic bombers with the Religious Right's best friends: the GOP.

But thanks for the civics lesson. Maybe you shouldn't read things so literally....or you should maybe think about getting somethin' to toughen up that thin skin o' yers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No need to toughen up the skin, i just don't think that this rubbish belongs in a cycling forum, even though I agree with most of your post, just not the first sentance.
As for the original question, Tucson is a great cycling community, I think even more so than Phoenix. Good luck with your endeavors.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I live in El Paso, Texas, and you can literally throw a rock into Mexico. It is disturbing that a country with such devoted cyclists has hardly any, if any, pro cyclists. The last pro I can remember was Raul Alcala. Raul rode on 7-eleven with Phinney, Bobke, and all the Americans. The truth is that Mexico traffic is very polite to the cyclist, in Mexico. Cycling is a very respected sport there, and there are velodromes in almost every major city. I ride with many Mexican cyclists, and they are fast, quiet, and polite. I don't ask them if they are illegal, since they are usually on 4 thousand dollar bikes. There is even an annual ride that you may consider if you plan on living so close to our southern border.
http://www.rosaritoensenada.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raul_Alcala

Ask your friend where he is from. Do the white people in pickup trucks give him trouble. They do around here, they don't like our girly shorts and bikes with no kickstands.
The Mexicans like us! They give us the lane.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have been living in tucson for 14 years and riding for about 10 yrs. Its a great cycling community with excellent rides, great bike shops and many different levels of riders to go on group rides with. I commute to work a couple days a week and tucson is getting pretty crowded in the winter. There are descent bike lanes, however some of them seem to stop abruptly. All of the new roads in Tucson have new bike lanes that are pretty wide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.