Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of Zipp wheels (303 front, 404 rear) that came with Tufo 19mm tubulars. I rode them on Sat (120psi) and the ride seemed more rigid/rough than usual.

Thinking about switching to a 22mm tubular, however wanted some perspective on the advantages/disadvantages of running a 19mm tire. These tires seem tiny to me.

Thanks.

G

·
itspat said:
I just bought a set of Zipp wheels (303 front, 404 rear) that came with Tufo 19mm tubulars. I rode them on Sat (120psi) and the ride seemed more rigid/rough than usual.

Thinking about switching to a 22mm tubular, however wanted some perspective on the advantages/disadvantages of running a 19mm tire. These tires seem tiny to me.

Thanks.
Here is my input.

No-one in their right mind would ride 19 mm tires under any circumstances unless they really want to part company with their fillings.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
They might be OK for a TT tire if you bomb them up to 150 psi. After 40K, fillings may begin to fall out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll pulled the Tufos off last night and put on some Conti's that I hadn't yet glued on my 404's. The Tufos will make for a great spare as they fold up much more compact that the Conti's do. The Tufo Tape that was used was a complete mess. I'll stick with glue. I followed the gluing instructions found on YouTube using a medicine seringe from Walgreens and warming the glue with hot water. This worked out fantastic. The least mess I have had to date. And the rubber gloves were key. No pealing glue off the hands.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Itspat

I'd be curious to hear your comments if you do decide to go with a different set of tires.....I run a Tufo Carbon rear and a Vittoria EVO CX on the front wheel, and all I read is how poorly the Tufo's ride in comparison to other tubulars.

BTW I run the Tufo rear because it's what came on the rear wheel (it was brand new) whereas the front wheel needed a tire (so I went Vittoria).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.