Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is probably extremely obvious I just wanted to post this warning incase anyone is thinking of using a chain cleaner and you have tubular tyres using Tufo extreme tape. I managed to pull off this complete no-brainer two days ago when I could not be bothered to remove my lightweight wheels and wanted to clean the chain with a Park tools chain cleaner (using their citrus degreaser). During the cleaning process some of the fluid splashed onto the rim and tyre (didn't think much about it at the time), however yesterday I went for a ride and as soon as I set off a loud squeak could be heard from the rear wheel. After closer examination it appeared that one section of the tyre was moving against the carbon rim (not good!!!!). I deflated the tyre and found that a section almost fell off the rim compared to the rest which is a complete nightmare to remove with the extreme tape. It appears that the degreaser had soaked into the base tape on the tyre and caused a delamination effect in the Tufo extreme tape (the rim side seperated from the base tape side of the tape) which caused the tyre to move and then squeak. Fortunately this only happened over a small section of rim so roll off was not a problem but I dread to think what would happen if more of the tape had delaminated.

Obviously this is not a issue with the quality of either product, in my opinion they both work great and I will keep using them (though not at the same time!!) I just want to try to highlight the issue so others don't have a similar problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think that this warning would apply for anyone running tubulars. Degreasers are very good at breaking down two things, grease, and adhesive. If you get degreaser (of any kind) on any tape (or glue) the adhesive has a good chance of failing. That's the design of the chemical, it's just doing it's job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.