Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Tufo extreme tape system for mounting tubulars (new to tubulars and it sounds considrerably easier than glue) and I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with this system when carrying out roadside repairs. Assuming that you have to replace the tyre (the sealant didn't work) firstly how easy is it to remove the tyre compared to glue, and secondly from what I've read on the Tufo website the tape comes off with the tyre so I assume you have to carry an additional tape as well as a new tyre.... is this in fact the case or just the theory or in reality do you get parts of the tape left on the rim?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
nutter said:
I am considering the Tufo extreme tape system for mounting tubulars (new to tubulars and it sounds considrerably easier than glue) and I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with this system when carrying out roadside repairs. Assuming that you have to replace the tyre (the sealant didn't work) firstly how easy is it to remove the tyre compared to glue, and secondly from what I've read on the Tufo website the tape comes off with the tyre so I assume you have to carry an additional tape as well as a new tyre.... is this in fact the case or just the theory or in reality do you get parts of the tape left on the rim?
Please just search. But I'll give you a rundown of this thread.

Me: Glue holds stronger than tape, but is harder to use.

Rocco: Tape is just as good as glue, I've been using it for X amount of time.

Me: Yes, but look at some study done

Rocco: That study is bunk because of the fact they used a small portion of tire.

Me: Perhaps, but none the less, it's atleast a clue.

Rocco: Whatever, I've been using it forever, and it works.

Me: Well I've never had a problem with glue, it works as well. Here what about this zipp rim that was seemingly destroyed by tape. *Throws in other anicdotal evidence that tape can destroy carbon rims*

Rocco: Oh that's bs, that rim was damaged before, and the tape just made the damage evident when it was taken off, I've been riding tape on carbon rims for X amount of time with out trouble.

Blah blah balh, and on it goes.
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
nutter said:
I am considering the Tufo extreme tape system for mounting tubulars (new to tubulars and it sounds considrerably easier than glue) and I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with this system when carrying out roadside repairs. Assuming that you have to replace the tyre (the sealant didn't work) firstly how easy is it to remove the tyre compared to glue, and secondly from what I've read on the Tufo website the tape comes off with the tyre so I assume you have to carry an additional tape as well as a new tyre.... is this in fact the case or just the theory or in reality do you get parts of the tape left on the rim?

There have already been many discussions here on RBR about this topic. Could you please use the search function to find them first?

Thanks and good luck!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
rocco said:
There have already been many discussions here on RBR about this topic. Could you please use the search function to find them first?

Thanks and good luck!
I so started my post first.
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
FTF said:
Please just search. But I'll give you a rundown of this thread.

Me: Glue holds stronger than tape, but is harder to use.

Rocco: Tape is just as good as glue, I've been using it for X amount of time.

Me: Yes, but look at some study done

Rocco: That study is bunk because of the fact they used a small portion of tire.

Me: Perhaps, but none the less, it's atleast a clue.

Rocco: Whatever, I've been using it forever, and it works.

Me: Well I've never had a problem with glue, it works as well. Here what about this zipp rim that was seemingly destroyed by tape. *Throws in other anicdotal evidence that tape can destroy carbon rims*

Rocco: Oh that's bs, that rim was damaged before, and the tape just made the damage evident when it was taken off, I've been riding tape on carbon rims for X amount of time with out trouble.

Blah blah balh, and on it goes.

Isn't that most of RBR in nutshell?

Anyway, I never said one works better than the other. I've only said I've had no problems with the tape. ...and yes that test is bunk.

P.S. Did you know that all '06 Colnago frames are made in Taiwan and that all frames made in Taiwan can only be junk? Did you know that magnesium is the frame material of the future and that carbon handlebars lighter than alloy bars? By the way, I'm a 250 lbs "Clyde" and I want to climb like Lance. I'm wondering if you can recommend for me a set of carbon tubular wheels that cost less than $1,000.00? What do you think?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
rocco said:
Isn't that most of RBR in nutshell?

Anyway, I never said one works better than the other. I've only said I've had no problems with the tape. ...and yes that test is bunk.

P.S. Did you know that all '06 Colnago frames are made in Taiwan and that all frames made in Taiwan can only be junk? Did you know that magnesium is the frame material of the future and that carbon handlebars lighter than alloy bars? By the way, I'm a 250 lbs "Clyde" and I want to climb like Lance. I'm wondering if you can recommend for me a set of carbon tubular wheels that cost less than $1,000.00? What do you think?
Hey, I never said that you said that one was better than the other.


P.S. Did you hear about this tape some soviet blok country is putting out?
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
FTF said:
Hey, I never said that you said that one was better than the other.


P.S. Did you hear about this tape some soviet blok country is putting out?

Ex-Soviet Block country? Like Czechoslovakia? That sounds very '80's retro. You must be talking about Tufo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
rocco said:
Ex-Soviet Block country? Like Czechoslovakia? That sounds very '80's retro. You must be talking about Tufo.
lol yeah, I couldn't remeber exactly what country they were from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rocco said:
There have already been many discussions here on RBR about this topic. Could you please use the search function to find them first?

Thanks and good luck!
I had previosuly done a search and found that most threads just had the old glue vs tape arguement but just tried again and found a thread which answered my question, so sorry about that ;)

I think looking at all these expensive bike parts makes you go blind! :D
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
nutter said:
I had previosuly done a search and found that most threads just had the old glue vs tape arguement but just tried again and found a thread which answered my question, so sorry about that ;)

I think looking at all these expensive bike parts makes you go blind! :D
No worries and good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
tufo extreme tire change

Just had a flat at Valley of the Sun race this past weekend on my Amercian Classic 38mm carbon rims using tufo extreme tape. When I removed the tire, the tape only came completely off 20 percent of the rim. The remaining 80 percent was a *****. It took me about 2 hours to clean the rim and remount new tape and new tire. Less time than glue, yes. More time than I thought or wanted to spend, definitely yes. Rode the new mount at the VOS crit yesterday. Fast hard corners. No problem.

wiles
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Roadside

nutter said:
...as well as a new tyre....
Just be sure that you have prestretched that new Tufo tire. The first set I got I had to double check the label because I thought they shipped me a pair of 650c tire they were so small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
"Just had a flat at Valley of the Sun race this past weekend on my Amercian Classic 38mm carbon rims using tufo extreme tape. When I removed the tire, the tape only came completely off 20 percent of the rim. The remaining 80 percent was a *****. "

Doesn't this argue for using glue instead of tape?

chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Although on clinchers this year. I rode tubbies only for the past 15+ years.
Always with glue. Never seemed like much of a fuss to me. I was careful & always did a thin layer. Same goes for the spare. Although most times the spare is a older used tire so no glue needed. I think most who thought glue was a hassle was using way too much & making a mess of it. A thin layer on both tire & rim is all you need. A good bond is not assured by more glue but a mess is ;)
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
Le Tour Tubular Glue Remover

wiles said:
Just had a flat at Valley of the Sun race this past weekend on my Amercian Classic 38mm carbon rims using tufo extreme tape. When I removed the tire, the tape only came completely off 20 percent of the rim. The remaining 80 percent was a *****. It took me about 2 hours to clean the rim and remount new tape and new tire. Less time than glue, yes. More time than I thought or wanted to spend, definitely yes. Rode the new mount at the VOS crit yesterday. Fast hard corners. No problem.

wiles

Try this. It works well with tape on carbon and alloy.

http://www.branfordbike.com/tires/tire6.html
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top