Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering trying Tufo tubular clinchers. Though I've read some reviews that claim them quite puncture resistant, Tribulus terrestris (known as puncturevine, caltrop, tackweed, ground burnut, puncture weed, bullhead thorn, goathead thorn, and Mexican sandbur) grows around here. It's an absolute menace to off-roaders, and sometimes ends up on roads. (The only times I've ever had a Kevlar belted road tire punctured is when I've run over puncturevine- 2 for 2.)

So my question is, has anyone ever run over it with a Tufo tubular clincher? What was the result? Did the tire sealant fix it?

Also, what size is a folded tubular clincher? None of the LBS's around here carry them. I wouldn't mind carrying a spare if I could do it easily. (It seems by the time you carry everything you "should" you end up carrying half the bike's weight in accessories.)

· Banned
1,844 Posts
I've used the s33 special tubular clinchers for about 3 yrs now. I'm in NY, so I dont have your issues and cant speak to them specifically, but I've never had a flat on a tufo clincher in the time I've used them. The sealant works wonderfully if you put it in when you mount the tire. It may not prevent the thorns from puncturing the tire, but the sealant should take care of it pretty well.

· Registered
491 Posts
I pull goatheads out of my Armadillos all the time. None have ever punctured. They're probably cheaper than Tufos, easier to mount, and more puncture-resistant. And you don't have to care spare tires (if you need a spare) or mess with sealant.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squint said:
I pull goatheads out of my Armadillos all the time. None have ever punctured. They're probably cheaper than Tufos, easier to mount, and more puncture-resistant. And you don't have to care spare tires (if you need a spare) or mess with sealant.
I wouldn't trade the armadillos on my mountain bike for anything (other than maybe something as puncture resistant with less weight). No exaggeration, I've had _hundreds_ of goatheads in them and only one flat. I was just wondering whether the Tufo sealer would seal the holes they leave, as I presume they'd go through a Tufo. The advantage I see for Tufo's isn't puncture resistance, it's high tire pressure (175psi) = low rolling resistance.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mdeth1313 said:
I've used the s33 special tubular clinchers for about 3 yrs now. I'm in NY, so I dont have your issues and cant speak to them specifically, but I've never had a flat on a tufo clincher in the time I've used them. The sealant works wonderfully if you put it in when you mount the tire. It may not prevent the thorns from puncturing the tire, but the sealant should take care of it pretty well.
Thanks for the information. I guess my question was more about the sealant than anything else. I wanted to make sure it wasn't another 'slime' kind of thing that doesn't work that often or that well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.