Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post a brief review of these tires, as it seems many people I talk with have heard of them, but haven't tried them.

I picked up a pair of the Elite Road Tubular Clinchers, wonderful tires. I will say, they take a bit to mount up. Not a quick affair, but hopefully they'll be on the wheels for a while. Be sure you read the directions! Simple enough, but they helped me, anyway. My fingers were pretty sore by the time I had them both done.

I have them mounted to a set of Ksyriums and they do help ease the ride of those, yet feel very solid and connected to the road. I'd say they have the ride of a good tubie. I had considered the tubie Ksyriums, but thought the clincher version with these tires would actually be lighter, as there's a very minimal weight difference in the actual wheels.

I had initial concerns of rolling these in fast corners, but after inflating and riding them, I no longer have these concerns. The connection to the rim seems very solid and the ride inspires confidence.

I'm using them primarily for racing and they do very well. With some of the Tufo slime, they are supposed to run just about forever. (or until the tread wears out) I may end up getting a set of their cross tires as well, I like these so much.

I hope this helps some folks who may be considering these. Here is a link to the actual tires...

http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en&mn=1&id=47

·
Registered
150 Posts
Been there, done that

I got really excited about these tires last season, but the honeymoon was short. I liked what I think was the low rolling resistance and consistently round shape (good handling), but flatting is a pain, and the Tufo slime didn't work consistently enough -- my view, based on my very limited experience, is that the liquid puncture repairs are theoretically neat, but have practical problems, principally including the fact that if the puncture is in the band of the tire that deflects everytime the wheel rotates, the latex plug formed by the liquid keeps getting re-loosed and pushed out the hole, re-triggering the flat.

In any case, I now have 4 Tufo Elite C Tubular Road clinchers. Two are very low miles and in great shape, two have more miles, and one of these has a puncture. I recently pumped each up to 150 psi, and they all held their pressure for the same amount of time (several weeks). I've switched back to Michelin pr2s for my clinchers. So, if you PM me, you can have these four tires for FREE, if you'll pay the shipping. First PM gets them all. I at this point, I can't tell which of the tires has the puncture -- and if you take these tires, you can have the fun of trying to figure out which one it is. We're moving from the east to the west coast, so I'd love to clear these out of my personal "parts bin."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.