Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to indulge in a set of custom wheels for hillclimbs and mountainous races. They are going to be light, at least sub 1400g, and with Kinlin 19mm rims and Tune hubs, could go sub 1300g.

I'll trade weight (and cash!) for dependability rather than fragility, although I repeat that these wheels will be an indulgence and not a everyday wheel.

So what are the pros and cons of going with Tune?

Thanks in advance for all constructive feedback.

G

· Registered
2,286 Posts
pros: german bling, bling, pretty damn lightweight, german, relatively rare....
cons: small cartridge bearings, mega expensive, way too much for the rims u are proposing IMO...

consider the impact of that, honestly many just look at the weight and ignore smoother loose ball systems that may out last the tunes at least w/ respect to bearing life...

my question is, how much do you weigh? how many spokes u going for? since these are low profilers you'd prolly be looking at 28s or perhaps even 32s, in which case i would opt for the much cheaper records that prolly roll better and i know these things last a long long time.... a little more weight is gained on DAs but that is another option if u run shimano...

also, nio has a new low profiler out, @ 22mm and c.385g, might like to look into them...

personally, i would save tunes for uber light, mega $$ builds... in a climbing wheelset, i would combine tunes with Reynolds KOM or zip 202 rims for example... cx-rays ...u get the idea... $500 hubs on $50 rims is a bit disproportionate IMO....

· Registered
4,105 Posts
ogaz said:
I'll trade weight (and cash!) for dependability rather than fragility, although I repeat that these wheels will be an indulgence and not a everyday wheel.
I take that to mean you don't want them falling apart (who does?). The standard 70/180 Tune hubs are pretty darn nice for what they weigh... not fragile. I'd also recommend the Nio22 rims even though they are new... they are coming in quite light, and are probably better than the eyeleted 19s. If you aren't too heavy you can put together a solid build that weighs under 1300g. You could save more weight going with the M5 front hub, though the tiny bearings will likely need replacing more often.

I see no problem using a $50 rim with $500 hubs... that is just what aluminum rims cost. Carbon rims are going to be over $500... each.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
yeah, i have weird hang-ups i guess... i will say that the tunes, especially those two-tone front hubs, added class and flair to an otherwise plain nio build... think u can see a few examples on Ligero's flickr page...

· Registered
578 Posts
ehh i hate threads like this.. makes me wanna go out there and get a set..... tunes are beautiful.... anyone have experience with tune mig 70s? they seem like they wouldnt last very long.. but would make for a really lightweight build...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.