Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just trying to figure out the the best (lightest, yet most reliable) hubs for a set of custome built race wheels. I have narrowed it down to tune and extralight but am not sure between the two. I know that the extralight is a bit lighter, but can't find as much about it in the reliablity area. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It seems that is just how the situation is. Tune have a good reputation for reliability, while much less information is available on Extralite. With lightweight parts, reliability/durability is not a given, so I would go with tune.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I have sold a few Extralite wheelsets..

and I have yet to get back any complaints. I also carry/sell Tune hubs/wheelsets.

Tune has a pretty decent reputation, but these must be maintained to be durable. My builder does think that Extralite hubs might be slighty more durable as they are just a tad bit more robust than the Tune hubs. But this cmoes from reading about thier hubs and examining graphical info.
I was going to go with Tune Road hubs for my new Campy wheelset, but I went with in-house hubs instead.

If you want to be on the safe side, go with Tune. Extralirte does uise common bearings and are sealed well, in case you take a chance.

Either choice, but are LIGHT and can be durable if manitained properly.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
From what I've been told (by Ligero & Woz & Divve), the Tune hubs aren't as well sealed as, say, DT, White, Campy, Shimano hubs, so if you ride in the wet a lot, I guess you'd need to be ready to do more regular maintenance.

I was in Fairwheel Bikes, today, and saw a new set of Extralite wheels: 1100-ish g w/ Extralite hubs & rims(Al alloy of some sort): http://www.extralite.com/Products/UltraClimb SP_anglo.htm . Nice lookin. Apparently this was the first set in the US, and as such, there be no report, yet, on how durable they be. Fairwheel Bikes did say the Extralite hubs have labyrinth seals, so that bodes well for keeping water & stuff out of the bearings.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Those are the same hubs and rims for wheels that I sold..

last year. About 4 sets. I buddy of mine is riding some with no issues after on year. Those UltraClimb SP now just use Pillar Ti Spokes.

Here are the UltraClimb SL -

You can order the hubs and build your own. Also Pilat Ti Spkoes are now availabe in the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts